Car ejects astonishing amount of black goo through its tailpipe

Originally published at: Car ejects astonishing amount of black goo through its tailpipe | Boing Boing

5 Likes

It’s Covid. Should we kill all the cars now?

13 Likes

Rollin’ crude?

10 Likes

Q’s latest gadget reflects budget cuts in SIS.

5 Likes

15 Likes

I’ve been on the internet for long enough that very little elicits me to say out-loud “what the fuck?”

This did it for me.

12 Likes

I work for an engine group of an auto company. If that sludge was coming from the engine it would not be running. Does not take much fluid to hydro-lock the cylinders.

• My first hypothesis is the car was in a flood and the muffler/exhaust/catalytic convertor filled with water.

• second - off the cuff - someone used a hose or a supersoaker with de-greaser and again filled the muffler/exhaust/catalytic convertor.

• third - a badly tuned engine producing carbon and water. Still bad though.

24 Likes

The comments section is probably 1/5 people thinking they were the first to make a Taco Bell joke. Way, way, down one meets the first theory.

6 Likes

Car being in a flood makes the most sense.
also- thank you for using “hypothesis” instead of “theory”.

12 Likes

Any which way, revving the engine harder is definitely the right approach.

/s

6 Likes

As I ask myself about every weird reel on social media these days:

Are we SURE this isn’t just someone’s CG experiment/hoax/prank video?

They are everywhere.

6 Likes

Don’t touch it, Tasha!

@allenk I like the light dig at e.e.cummings in that poster’s user name.

14 Likes

Well, clearly someone stole their cadillac converter.

9 Likes

This wasn’t hydro lock but it was funny.

I was watching a friend trying to start his boat after winter storage, it wouldn’t turn over.

He thought the battery was dead, it wasn’t.

I said pull the plugs and turn it over but I forgot to say cover the holes with a rag. It made a pretty oil fountain and squirter all over him.

Whoever winterized it must have filled the holes with oil.

I giggled, the engine was fine.

5 Likes

Senator Armstrong assures me that being full of a mysterious black fluid makes the car nearly invulnerable to damage.

Nanomachines, son, they harden in response to physical trauma.

2 Likes

You’re welcome.

There are plenty of other options, oil/coolant leak into the exhaust; If it were gasoline and oil, things could get MUCH more exciting!

2 Likes

I know it looks a bit gross, but this is how they breed. The first half, anyway.

7 Likes

I had a diesel go down with the boat. After refloating, I did 2 or 3 oil changes with a short run to catch the water, amazing after a short run how much the oil looked like a chocolate shake.

1 Like

They don’t need a mechanic, they need a plumber!

Just not this plumber, though, I don’t know shit about cars, except where the go juice goes in.

7 Likes

I’m thinking you know more about it than you care to admit.

5 Likes