Car explodes after driver sprays too much air freshener and lights cigarette

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/17/car-explodes-after-driver-spra.html

2 Likes

That was some quick thinking on his part to come up with the “too much air freshener” excuse.

12 Likes

Don’t fart and smoke, gentlemen.

6 Likes

Smoking and air-freshener. Kinda like matter and antimatter, eh?

4 Likes

It must be time to switch to chewing tobacco.

2 Likes

This tragic accident could have been prevented with BEANO!

6 Likes

It’s not a super common problem; but the list of seemingly innocuous combinations that can turn into a fuel-air explosive is a bit intimidating. Various edible but powdery materials, sawdust, non-dairy creamer, a fair number of aerosol products…

Handy for potato cannons; but work for Occupational Health and Safety in other contexts.

7 Likes

I have a vivid memory of our high school chemistry teacher (good old “Chemical Carl” Ferguson) demonstrating a dust explosion using flour. The fireball hit the ceiling. Dust explosions have always been a real danger in grain elevators. I seem to recall that techniques for creating explosions to destroy factories were taught to WW2 saboteurs.

We always used cheap hairspray.

13 Likes

I remember a friend in the dorm lighting the spray from a Krylon paint can “just to see what happens.” The flame was eight feet long and set off the fire alarms. /don’tdothisathome

6 Likes

Halifax? Yorkshire?

Florida, surely!

3 Likes

The propellant in most of these aerosol cans is either butane, propane or a mix of those.

Food grade aerosol propellants include nitrous oxide which burns even hotter than propane and butane.

So yeah, if something sprays out of a can, it’s generally safe to assume that it’s mostly fuel. 80-90%

6 Likes

i hate when that happens

1 Like

Know someone who was an industrial engineer, his military background in the Army Corp of Engineers was demolitions. He was specifically hired to evaluate manufacturing processes for his relevant knowledge in dust situations on how to make things NOT go boom.

6 Likes

1 Like

Telling a chav to follow his instincts sounds like a terrible idea…

5 Likes

Depends on your objective.

4 Likes

If applying Axe by spraying a cloud then walking through it really is a thing, then it could turn out even more tragic than usual.

2 Likes

Who sprays the air freshener before they smoke?

2 Likes

If you smoke, everything you do is technically in between cigarettes.

13 Likes

the man escaped with only minor injuries.

When asked to comment, he replied, “WHAT? WHAT???”

4 Likes