Car explosion at US-Canada border: two dead in suspected terror attack

Originally published at: US-Canada Border Car Explosion: 2 Dead, Terror Attack Suspected

4 Likes

Was it headed into the US or into Canada?

3 Likes

Apparently on the US side.

9 Likes

CBC version here

8 Likes

:confused:

6 Likes

Headed into the US was in the second round of updates. I was seeing different reporting on the initial reports. We may need to wait for clarification.

8 Likes

News stations are going bananas with the repetitive coverage, but the TLDR is:

1. A car blew up, 2 people died.
  2. The explosion happened on a bridge between the US and Canada.
  3. 3 other bridges have been pre-emptively shut down in case it is an intentional explosion.

Everything else is just whatever sensation they can extrapolate onto those three points. The police and the governments aren’t saying anything except ‘we are looking into it’.

NO GOVERNMENT AGENCY OR POLICE have said it is a ‘suspected terror attack’. That is all news/click bait. They have all said we don’t know what it is.

As with all things of this nature, it’s best to wait a day or two before forming opinions, because right now it could as easily be a moron who lit a cigarette with a leaky propane tank in the back seat.

29 Likes

Good advice. Cooler heads and all.

16 Likes

@Mindysan33 and next round of updates has:

“At this point, the Canadian government is “highly confident” the car originated in the United States, the sources said. “

6 Likes

was it a Tesla, by chance? /s
:wink:

9 Likes

Ha, came here to make the same joke. After all, only Teslas have bad things happen to them.

4 Likes

Yikes. Hopefully just a bad accident.

Everyone be careful if traveling the next few days. I have a 3hr-ish trip ahead of me I am not looking forward to.

7 Likes

The CBC article did mention that terrorism task forces are involved, but let’s be real: “explosion” and “border” is going to mean they’ll be involved, at least initially. If only to rule it out.

12 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, I just heard on NPR that there still isn’t much more details than that… :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

Did someone say “only”? :thinking:

10 Likes

ah. so, just an accident?

6 Likes

TIL cars really do explode like they do in the movies.

Officials are now walking back the “terrorism” claim, and seem not to know whether there were one or two people in the car. Some stories report the car was crossing into the US from Canada, some say the opposite.

So you might say that there’s a certain lack of clarity about the whole business just now. Maybe tomorrow we’ll know more.

8 Likes

I’ve never heard of an idled/parked Tesla just suddenly exploding with the occupants still in the vehicle, that is, instead of catching fire and the occupants having enough time to escape. The battery can explode in a crash though. No report on the subject vehicle crashing.

3 Likes

First reports were that it crashed at high speed, and as above now they are saying high speed again.

So back to the first report: from US, high speed, crash, explosion. Just no terror.

13 Likes

No it doesn’t.
As we are all well aware, The Daily Mail speculates.

That actually sounds like The Daily Mail now.

Sorry to quote you so much, Mark, but God, I hate that rag.

15 Likes