Car misses exit and causes two large trucks to flip over, driver doesn't care

From YT:

This is the shocking moment a reckless driver causes two lorries to topple and crash after a daring attempt to cut across a busy motorway in east China.

CCTV footage captured the unnamed driver making the way towards an exit when a red lorry approached and narrowly swerved around but later toppled. A blue truck also tried to avoid crashing onto the white car and ended up jackknifing before an exit. Surprisingly, the driver managed to exit the motorway without any damages. The incident happened at G25 Changchun-Shenzhen Expressway near Huzhou of Zhejiang Province on March 14 2018.

8 Likes

The bus, subway, trolley light rail, taxis, bikes and Lyft are all reasonable alternatives. They exist.

4 Likes

Who comes to a complete stop in the middle of a busy expressway?

2 Likes

Most people during rush hour.

7 Likes

My wife’s grandfather, at age 98ish, because he thought his wallet had slipped out of his pocket and into the seat, so he got out and looked for it. In the middle of Interstate 95.

No one was harmed, thankfully, but the state still took away his license.

8 Likes

Zing!

OK. . . I didn’t mean the traffic jam level of “busy.”

3 Likes

What you did there? I see it.

4 Likes

Certainly neither of those trucks; no matter how hard they tried.

2 Likes

Marylanders. Especially if they’re driving a Toyota. I don’t think they are even aware there are other vehicles on the road.

2 Likes

They exist but are rare in the wild. I wouldn’t call subways and light rail endemic to the United States.

5 Likes

Saw one of those awhile back, everybody going 70mph and she makes a beeline for the fast lane at 45mph. I saw her come up the ramp and then it was a wall of brakelights followed by her tootling along (still at 45mph) in the fast lane as everybody honks past her. I’m sure she was too blind and deaf to even notice, definitely a poster-child for annual driving tests after some statistically significant age.

2 Likes

They’re everywhere I look. Buses are everywhere - you can buy a bike.

If it’s not cost effective to place public transport, taxis or Lyft somewhere - it won’t be for self driving taxis either.

2 Likes

Because they’re fucking idiots. (It only takes one!)

3 Likes

I had one. Riding 12 miles in fast traffic wasn’t really my thing.

Service ends at 9pm.

2 Likes

still won’t be cost effective for self driving taxis if it isn’t already out in a town of 10,000. But see- you do have buses & a bike.

1 Like

Failing to accelerate to speed of traffic before merging should be grounds for losing your license.

2 Likes

I know this video wasn’t recorded in the Bay Area of Northern California, but still, welcome to the Bay Area driving experience.

2 Likes

Unless they don’t.
My grandmother lives in a small (pop. 6000-odd people) Northern California town. There’s no public transportation (at all - zero, zip, zilch), no taxis (there used to be one, but that was years ago), and I’m quite sure no Lyft or Uber (but since she’s not a smart phone user, she’d have no way of even knowing). There’s no bike infrastructure, obviously (there often aren’t even sidewalks nor traffic lights or four-way stops on many intersections, so walking in the sprawling town isn’t any better). The only retail is a Walmart at the very edge of town - for anything else one has to drive to a larger town, 30-odd miles away. She knows all sorts of elderly people who shouldn’t be driving - but have no alternatives. A ne’er-do-well cousin kept getting arrested there for driving on a suspended license - because, well, what else was he going to do? These are not exactly unknown conditions in the US (or other semi-developed countries).
Hell, I live in one of California’s largest cities, and there’s no subway; light rail and buses exist but are unfortunately slow and have limited coverage and operating hours; inconsistent bike infrastructure (biking is my preferred means of travel, but I can’t go more than a couple miles in any direction without feeling like I’m putting my life in danger due to running into areas that clearly didn’t even consider the existence of bikes). To travel any distance (and this being sprawling California, everything is far away), those options become extremely impractical. A friend described my unwillingness to drive as “self-imprisoning.” She was right.

9 Likes

Slow Driving was an offence in the Judge Dredd strip.

5 Likes

I’m a strong advocate of public and human transportation methods. That being said buses are far from everywhere and far from an equal transportation option with private cars. Here’s a quick example with just travel times. https://app.traveltimeplatform.com/# Check a few cities and see how far you can get in 30 minutes. If you need a decent example city to study look at Lynchburg, VA which by some measures is the most average city in the country.

1 Like