Cards Against Humanity purchases border territory to stop Trump's wall, gets legal advice and builds trebuchet, to make it stick

I’ve played it and even with knowing what cards are already in the deck you can still have some really funny moments. And like i mentioned above, if one needs to one can make their own cards. Hell i’ve even seen unauthorized expansions for sale in some physical and online retailers and the game makers are pretty gung-ho about encouraging people to remix the game to their liking.

Also it helps to play the game in a social situation where some drinks are being enjoyed. Makes the inherent silliness of the cards more enjoyable

1 Like

Or maybe it’s a political statement about the unacceptability of the Trump policies regarding immigration, which are breaking up families, putting people who have not committed any real crimes in prison, and making this country a worse place?

7 Likes

So does 300 gold get you the famed 90kg projectile thrown over 300 meters?

Has CAH made a version of their game without all of the overt sexual references? It gets a bit tiresome when the game devolves into “who can make the most depraved sexual remark”, regardless of whatever else is happening.

It’s called Apples to Apples and existed for years before CAH was a thing. I played that before i knew of CAH and it can be pretty fun. It’s PG as far as the content of the cards goes

8 Likes

Seconded–my wife speaks decent English but she learned it as an adult–and I have long since learned that humor that is at all language based is going to go right past her. While she understands the English she sees it through the filter of her mother tongue, it doesn’t come out funny.

1 Like

Wait, I’m confused. I thought the whole idea was that the land was going to be divided into thousands of parcels, so the government would have to take every one of the land-owners to court. Even if each case of eminent domain was fairly easy, doing it thousands of times would be a drain on the administration.

But I see from the first gift that you’re just getting a certificate that you helped buy the land. You’re not getting any ownership of the land itself. Is that right?

…now that I think about it, it would have probably introduced a huge amount of legal hassle to have 150,000 people suddenly own land in Texas, and need to deal with taxes and what-not. I was going off the assumptions that were being voiced in some of the original Reddit threads.

Given that this will just be a single piece of land, then, and will almost certainly remain unoccupied and without ongoing commercial value, it doesn’t seem like it will actually offer up that much of a resistance to seizure by eminent domain, no matter what CAH’s lawyers say. But IANAL, after all.

3 Likes

Surely jerking off into a pool of children’s tears transcends linguistic boundaries?

1 Like

Maybe they can turn the trebuchet to the south and lob one over?

1 Like

My SO learned English (or at least became fluent) in her late teens when she moved to the US. So anything from the cultural context of 2000 onward she gets, including all kinds of slang. I find I am always explaining stuff from the 90’s and before, since she just wasn’t around for it.

I totally get it, though. I have the same thing whenever I’m visiting the UK, or watching a British show. A decent amount of the time I find myself googling Clarkson’s mumblings about The Stig because I flat out don’t get them.

1 Like

This. I guess I need to stop reading Cory’s posts for a month.

I’ve seen it sold here.

Isn’t it already pointing south?
I mean, if you want to point it at where the wall would sit, you’d have to.

That’s correct. I bought the CAH holiday gift this year for my wife and envelope 1 came yesterday. Fine print on the certificate is that you helped buy it, but that interest/ownership in the property does not convey to you. This is a contrast to last year’s gift where teh recipients did get a fractionally minute interest in an Irish castle. I’m guessing it had to due with taxes or titles or something that would have made it a prohibitively expensive proposition for a holiday gift.

1 Like

That certificate - holy shit - did they make it horrible on purpose?

I’d better check my mailbox. I can add the ‘title’ to my share of the border to my title for a square foot of peat bog I received as a Friend of Laphroaig…

1 Like

I need to check my mail, forgot to do so, curious what the CAH first letter looks like. Maybe my Prongles has been delivered too

Building a wall around the property would still be considered a takings under eminent domain. Building a bunch of security checkpoints on or around the property could also be argued as a takings under eminent domain if you had a particularly litigious client which seems to be the case.

Edit:security on the property is an obvious takings.

This was my favorite part of their page:

“I AM ANGRY!
Are you angry at us, or are you really angry at yourself?”

1 Like

The idea is to cause them hardship and delay. Trying to route the wall through their land would be met with delay. Trying to route around their land will also prolong the process and cause delay. It’s pretty clever actually. Every second that the stupid wall is delayed is a victory. If the Delay exceeds the duration of Trumps rule than it becomes an absolute victory.

1 Like