Cartoonist Kayfabe takes a look back at James O'Barr's The Crow

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/16/cartoonist-kayfabe-takes-a-loo.html

2 Likes

crow-cant-rain-all-time

8 Likes

Wow, literally flipped through this book 2 days ago to show my GF. Synchronicity!

It is a great example of outsider comic art and you can see how it got translated into the movie. One of my top 10 of all times and probably the perfect 90s movie.

I have met O’Barr twice and have several signed Crow prints and graphic novel. And a Shadow print! Turns out he is a big Shadow fan and took a pic of my cosplay! He also had a nice color painting for sale when I saw him.

If you enjoyed the music on The Crow soundtrack, I asked if he had any input on that, and he said most of it was groups he was into at the time. Which is great, as it introduced me to My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult.

And he is in a relationship with Chiara Bautista who has some AMAZING illustrations featuring a revolving set of characters, including one who must be O’Barr. Her stuff usually revolves around love and emotions - both whimsical and dark.

Her Star Wolf and Moon Bunny stuff I really connect with.

5 Likes

Thanks for posting those, she’s not an artist I’m familiar with, and the Star Wolf and Moon Bunny seems to connect with a book I bought yesterday, called ‘The Boy, the mole, the fox and the Horse’, by Charlie Mackesy.
Completely different style of art, very sketchy but beautiful drawings, about love, friendship and kindness.
Oh, and cake!
It’s gorgeous and heart-warming, and worth checking out.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.