"Cat eye syndrome" (bilateral colobomas)

[Permalink]

See these eyes so green…

2 Likes

I’ve got that in my left eye.

Always amusing if a doctor notices it if i visit a hospital for any reason, as i’m immediately dragged off to be shown to any medical students nearby :smile:

11 Likes

Cat eye syndrome is a glamorous name for it - according to the wikipedia page another common symptom is having no anus.

3 Likes

I always wondered what this was… there is a lady who has this, and no joke, she works at our dog’s vet office. So at first I thought it was just contact lenses until prolonged, awkward staring convinced me otherwise.

2 Likes

Seriously! The beautiful lady in the linked article does not openly exhibit the (apparently not uncommon, according to Wackipedia):

• Anal atresia (abnormal obstruction of the anus)
  • Unilateral or bilateral iris coloboma (absence of tissue from the colored part of the eyes)
  • Downward-slanting Palpebral fissures (openings between the upper and lower eyelids)
  • Preauricular pits/tags (small depressions/growths of skin on the outer ears)
  • Cardiac defects (such as TAPVR)
  • Kidney problems (missing, extra, or underdeveloped kidneys)
  • Short stature
  • Scoliosis/Skeletal problems
  • Intellectual disability – although most are borderline normal to mildly disabled, and a few even have normal intelligence, CES patients occasionally exhibit moderate to severe disability.
  • Micrognathia (smaller jaw)
  • Hernias
  • Cleft palate
  • Rarer malformations can affect almost any organ

I’ll stick to splicing cat genes, if it’s quite alright with you folks…

3 Likes

In other words, remarkably cat-like!

C’Mell?

4 Likes

A young woman at my pharmacy has this. Originally I thought she had a unique take on the eye tattoo fad. It actually looked pretty cool, but I felt bad after I found out it was not a fashion statement. I am glad I did not say anything.

1 Like

I would imagine the “body modification” crowd would give much to be able to have that. Didn’t Gibson’s Panther Moderns have slit eyes as well as fangs? As for vet worker, I would assume contacts unless told otherwise, it seems likely as not she REALLY identifies with animals.

2 Likes

i was thinking “i’m pretty sure i have looked way more than 10,000 people in the eye over several decades and never seen this” - the laundry list of associated maladies suggests a reason

Panther Moderns were a Gibson reference to fellow cyberpunk author John Shirley. They are part of Shirley’s fiction, and have also been his real-life band.

Also, I recommend Paul Di Filippo’s short-story book “Ribofunk” for some great extrapolations of body modification run amok.

1 Like

Yeah, but people without anuses never seem to give a shit.

4 Likes

Meow. Iris my case.

1 Like

The linked site thinks that I might also like

“Ocular injury from an electrical burn”

Um, nope.

2 Likes

Then there is the goat-clown developed in The God-clown Is Near by Jay Lake. I thought it referenced the eyes, but a quick online scan did not re-reveal this to me.

Got the same offer, liked.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.