Cat tries a lick of ice cream for the first time

One of our dearly departed cats absolutely loved french fries. If a bit dropped on the floor it would be gone in an instant. If you had some on a plate you were likely to see a black paw coming out of the darkness to snag one if you weren’t careful. I think it was the salty aspect that he liked.

7 Likes

This is true. It is why dogs will eat chocolate even though it is poisonous to them. Cats will genereally ignore it as it probably smells gross to them. Still, it is poisonous to kitties also.

And you’d be wrong, now woulldncha. Said a cat adoptee who gladly buys bandaids because of same.

“Cats like dairy.” Er, possibly, but most cats are actually lactose intolerant. Do NOT feed a cat milk.

1 Like

My Siamese confirms this. She’ll scream until she’s allowed to clean out the pan that I’ve cooked a blistering Thai green curry in, when all that’s left is a few dabs of coconut milk. We joke that green curry is obviously part of her cultural heritage and some distant inherited memory drives her.

Now I wonder if cats can taste capsaicin…

4 Likes

This my cat Ruby. I think she actually did that “night terror” thing of getting in my mouth to sniff one night after I’d eaten yogurt.

5 Likes

I suspect most cats can taste capsaicin, but tolerance may vary as widely as it does for humans. One of my dearly departed loved pepper-jack cheese, no other kitty before or since would try it, but another would snag any flavor of Dorito, regardless of “heat” level. Butter has been pretty universally loved, and yogurt has enjoyed a 50-ish% approval rating across all cats I’ve ever had the pleasure of sharing a household with.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.