Catalogue of entrances to hell found in the UK

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/13/catalogue-of-entrances-to-hell-found-in-the-uk.html

6 Likes

I presume all of Heathrow airport is on the list?

8 Likes

Milton Keynes.
Eastbourne.
London, obviously.

Pretty much everywhere, really.

5 Likes

Luton’s application got rejected, supposedly for redundancy.

4 Likes

From the author’s blog

entrances2hell.co.uk is not about religion or the devil or horror.

It is about a method of writing found in magazines that I call ‘mag-bull’.

I worked on a lot of magazines as a layout designer which meant that I got to spend a lot of time reading copy.

What I was trying to do on entrances2hell was to demonstrate how magazines talk to you. They use a chatty chummy style. The tone is ‘As you already know…’.

Sometimes I refer to the above style of language as ‘Exciting New Yoghourts’ which was a genuine crosshead that I once had to style up.

The only reason I chose hell as a concept was that it is already a very well known myth. I mean that most people know it well and most people hold it to be untrue. This made it ideal.

When you read the entrances pages you know you are being lied to but the casual language convinces you to join in and believe.

Helpfully, the pictures are also absolutely dead-pan which lets your imagination run riot.

I promise that the design of entrances2hell is deliberately bad. It is meant to be naive and ‘early html’. It does not need bringing up to date, thanks.

13 Likes

We’ve got a drive thru

5 Likes

There are a few in the United States, as well.

2022-03-05

3 Likes

Not exclusively to Hell,
c2d4c9fe-0748-40c5-a159-7592df2c1ff0_text

6 Likes

I think that’s just one of the many entrances to McMansion Hell.

(No less hellish, though.)

4 Likes

Is the parliament building on the list?

4 Likes

The UK not only contains many disguised entrances to Hell, it also contains Hell itself. The city of Dis, thinly obscured by an overlay of evil illusion magic, can be found at the location known to mortals as Slough.

4 Likes

New phone, who Dis?

3 Likes

I have no idea how the door to my Nan’s khazi got on this website.
If you’re wondering, it’s number two.

3 Likes

It is very thin

2 Likes

This led me down a rabbit hole and now I’ve marked about a half dozen additional things to see in London next month.

1 Like

Not to forget, the Slough of Despond.

@Kilkrazy

Music for driving under London to.

Edit to add: St Pancras for the Continent. East Bourne for the Incontinent.

1 Like

And then there’s the one that Larry guards.

Blimey. In my experience that puts him in the 5% of designers who treat the words as anything more than grey space between the pictures!

2 Likes

Are you telling me it’s not all lorem ipsum?

2 Likes

… real pictures of Mar a Lago look like A.I. hallucinations — things that should be symmetrical are not, and things that should not be are, and there’s a tower with another tower growing out of it

At first I thought it might be a picture of the Winchester Mystery House :thinking: