Catholic high school suppressed student newspaper article, drawing wide attention to it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/24/catholic-high-school-suppresse.html

6 Likes

“Removing an article that falsely accused the school of breaking the law is not censorship,” Hauptly said in the statement. “It is actually a lesson in the responsibility that comes with being a journalist.”

Principal Streisand here doesn’t know much about journalism. The correct response to a false statement in an article is to issue a correction, a retraction, or a follow-up article exploring the issue further. If the article hasn’t been published, he could have used it as an educational opportunity (what a concept!) to explain why the school administration thought it was an incorrect interpretation of the law.

There really needs to be a standard psychological test to screen out petty dictators from principal and vice principal positions.

43 Likes

:sparkling_heart: I’m stealing “Principal Streisand” right this minute for an edit :sparkling_heart:

32 Likes

This is really weird. Does “serving at the altar” mean like, being altar servers?

I was an altar boy server in the 90s and IIRC the pope said it’s cool. How can some local church official override the pope?

(For reasons that are abundantly obvious, church attendance has been dropping, so this seems like a silly rule. I had the impression they opened altar serving up to both genders because they weren’t getting enough potential victims volunteers to assist with all the daily masses.)

16 Likes

It’d be a massacre.

7 Likes

I wonder whose face was blurred out at that window? And what it going on around the tailgate of that red van? What don’t THEY want us to know?

14 Likes

It’s done all the time. Unless the Pope issued a papal decree that women must be allowed, the local church can do whatever it wants. I think the American Catholic church is a great deal more conservative than even two of the past three Popes.

7 Likes

And one of those was a member of the Hitler Youth!

I’m guessing he’s the one you are exempting :smiley: In his defence he didn’t have much of a choice in the matter; it being Nazi Germany, and all.

10 Likes

So knowing that, why mention it?

2 Likes

I was aiming for humour. Sorry if it didn’t work.

6 Likes

One solution to not being called a nazi is to dedicate yourself to treating all people (even gays and"slutty" women) with respect and dignity. Cries of “Nazi Pope” are not rooted in a singular data point :slight_smile:

12 Likes

One of those was a Sith Lord!

7 Likes

The American Catholic Church…

being dragged kicking and screaming into the 19th century.

12 Likes

We used to call them apprentice pope(s).

1 Like

Sorry, I was aiming more for a sweeping generalization about the American Catholic Church being conservative rather than the actual Naziness of the Pope in question. I agree that, after years running the Holy Office* and being a bit of a hard liner (part of the job, I guess), he turned out to be rather an effective Pope. Still a bit on the Conservative side; but then, he is the Pope :wink: If he isn’t going to fight the RC corner who is**.

*Currently the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. Formerly known as the Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Roman and Universal Inquisition. Unfortunately not as hardcore as it sounds.

**I was told a tale by a colleague who used to work in religious broadcasting for the BBC. He was sat behind then Cardinal Ratzinger at an event being hosted by the CofE. Apparently, when the key note speaker mentioned “Ecumenism”, the Pope to be just issued a deep laugh.

1 Like

9 Likes

It’s Jesus and Mary Magdalene. The Van’s a rockin’ and, well…

3 Likes

Somebody call a “Symbolololologist”!

1 Like

Maybe they just didn’t want the girls to be molested by the priest?
I’d say I’m joking, but these days it seems as if that’s the only reason anyone entered the Catholic priesthood in the last fifty years.

2 Likes
5 Likes