Catholic school to hand out ‘modesty ponchos’ to girls at prom wearing ‘revealing’ dresses

I am more of an Auntie Mame gal, myself.

4 Likes

Beat me to it.

17 Likes
1 Like

I don’t need the historically associated classism, but I wish this style would come back in!

Cersei Lannister wished she had a pancho, even if just for what was hitting her

1 Like

What we need to do is reinforce the idea that the human body is a shameful thing and you should be ashamed for having one. We need to remind young women that if they develop naturally they should cover it up because as we all know, boys are incapable of self control and decency. These girls should understand that they are responsible for how other people act and need to dress to discourage anyone from being forced to look at their shameful bodies.
Any attempt to actualize yourself as not only a being of intelligence and wit but also a sexual being whose primary function as a living thing is to have sex and reproduce will be met with scorn, denial, and a chastity workshop.

34 Likes

Yes, best to start the slut-shaming early.

18 Likes

More than anything, Cersei wished she had a father that actually gave a damn about her; the entirety of GoT is Daddy Issues, Galore.

But after that, Cersei probably wished she’d never had the ‘brilliant idea’ to empower the High Sparrow’s religious fanatics in the first place; reap and sow.

6 Likes

…and not draw attention to something that doesn’t need attention drawn to it…

Like the Church’s regressive views on sexuality? Like the fact that after years of excusing and enabling child sexual abuse, the Church still sees policing natural teenage sexuality as something more worthy of their effort.

13 Likes

Priests will be priests right? /s

5 Likes

Sorry, I don’t get the irony of it happening in Dearborn because I’m Australian (despite what I said about ‘our kids’ above. Although I can imagine the same thing happening here :unamused:)

3 Likes

That pink thing is multi-purpose. Try it on.

Dearborn has a rather large Muslim population.

7 Likes

Sorry. ponchos only.

14 Likes

IIRC, Dearborn has like one of the largest Muslim American populations in the country, and yet it’s Xtians who try to pull crap like this.

18 Likes

…and a spanking?

13 Likes

Thinking back into my distant past, that wasn’t far off the mark. Speaking as a former boy, around lots of other boys, teenage boys can be pretty monstrous.

That said, these days they have pocket internet machines and are a 4-letter-word image search away from more bare breasts than you can shake a stick at.

I’m not sure what this accomplishes apart from calling more attention to the breasts of their classmates.

I get that it’s a core point of the Catholic religion to embed shame in the brains of children, but I don’t see why they don’t simply require that all the girls wear them at prom. Is it better to shame a few they consider “slutty”, or shame them all in one fell swoop? I guess this does have the advantage of bringing peer pressure into the mix. Nothing like making a few teenagers feel like every eye is on them to bolster their self esteem.

From the video:

“It was really intended as a deterrent. And a light-hearted one at that.”

Ah yes, light-hearted indeed. I see that one has a whale pattern on it. The girl that gets handed that one is certainly going to have a nice chuckle.

2 Likes

Don’t need it. Brought my own.

Oh, PONCHO?

14 Likes

Yes, this can only end in a competition in which those who do not qualify for a poncho are seen as hopelessly prudish, and the cool poncho-wearers vie to see who can tantalize the boys with a flash of bare shoulder.

7 Likes

11 Likes