Catholic school to hand out ‘modesty ponchos’ to girls at prom wearing ‘revealing’ dresses

I don’t think I’m any different from anyone else or special in any way. I did grow up with 4 older sisters and by the time I reached puberty I was fully aware of the punishment for disrespecting women. I think this may be less about how little boys are and more about how little boys are conditioned.

I don’t. I mean I recognize it happens but I don’t get how it’s a core point of any religion.

10 Likes

If you were, your parents would have sent you to a school run under the auspices of globally recognized pederasts with institutionalized nation-state/supreme religious leadership-level protection of pederasty. Fuck your hypothetical parents and the horse they rode in on.

2 Likes

Also @anotherone, @IronEdithKidd.

Oh. Right. Good work Catholics :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Yawn. Prom isn’t compulsory. If you don’t like the dress code, don’t go. Hold your own alternative party if you don’t like the rules.

Back in my angsty-teenager days, I wrote this long essay in English class about how prom was meaningless and should no longer be a school-sponsored activity.

When I got it back, my unflappable teacher just wrote a short comment at the bottom: Prom actually wasn’t held for a period of 5-6 years back in the late 70s and early 80s due to lack of interest.

4 Likes

I’m wearing one now!

[Did I do that right?]

9 Likes

Hormones affects kids differently, some more markedly than others. I feel like i was a late bloomer and i can still distinctly recall moments where it was very difficult managing my feelings and impulses. Most of the time i didn’t notice i was acting a certain way, other schoolmates of mine certain had little to no self-awareness.

That being said it’s not an excuse to say “boys will be boys” and place the burden on girls. I firmly believe everyone is responsible for their own behavior, especially boys.

4 Likes

Yes please, a good hard one on my bare bottom, otherwise I won’t learn.

2 Likes

Well, judeo christian + islamic religions are all about commoditizing women’s virginity. That’s what makes a woman valuable in a nomadic herding culture. So of course making people ashamed of their sexuality mqkes sense when you are essentially a simpleton trying to hang onto an investment in prime unfucked meat.

It’s really as simple as “it’s going to be really hard to sell a pie with a dick print on it.”

9 Likes

If you don’t want to wear the hijab, stay home. Because religious zealots have the absolute right to make everyone conform to their rules.

9 Likes

I wish people would actually talk to boys about their feelings and impulses and girls’ right to not be subjected to them. Most of the cultural messaging that boys get is tacit approval for of not controlling impulses, while girls are endlessly lectured about their responsibilty for boys’ lack of control- just as in this story.

I talk to my own kids, and I hope that more parents of children of both sexes are talking to their kids, but stories like this are discouraging.

9 Likes

Personally, I’d be delighted if the majority of the boys showed up wearing “revealing” prom dresses to show how ridiculous this idea is.

23 Likes

I think we all need the cone of ignorant bliss… not a modesty poncho.

8 Likes

Except there’s a big difference in every level of law between public and private venues. Their prom…their rules. This is not even a public school we’re talking about. And even most public schools have certain dress codes too, especially at proms.

It’s a riot how “dress codes=Sharia law” get’s trotted out every single time!

5 Likes

Maybe, but St. Ann’s was two blocks away and run by sadomasochistic nuns, according to legend.

1 Like

For me i did have conversations with my mom about what my attitudes towards sex were, and my mom told me what her expectations were (ie: safe & responsible sex above everything). However i see myself as largely being an outlier compared to other childhood friends who definitely were more driven by Id than anything. But as you say, even when dealing with obnoxious hormonal kids you can still instill values in them that are actually worth something. Like treat women with respect.

6 Likes

Going to prom isn’t a “requirement,” its supposed to be a ‘privilege.’

That said, trying to police one group’s thoughts and behavior by controlling the attire of another group is never going to be successful, no matter what the circumstances or venue may be.

Learning basic respect for others starts in early childhood.

11 Likes

Coincidentally, on this topic. I just got some emails from Oh Joy, Sex Toy on their upcoming kickstarter project

7 Likes

A lady who knows how to draw attention to herself.

1 Like

What a clever choice of words. Bravo!

1 Like

So … bosom burqa for Catholic girls?

2 Likes