Cattle guard doesn't work

Jeezus people…

Cow: mature female of cattle (genus Bos)
Heifer: a young female cow that has not borne a calf
Bull: intact (i.e., not castrated) adult male of the species Bos taurus (cattle)
Steer: castrated male bull

6 Likes

Goddammit Barry

6 Likes

If a critical mass of humans ever figure this trick out to overcome money… there’s going to be some really interesting trouble.

3 Likes

I defer to your superior knowledge. I had been led to believe what I posted from discussions (strangely enough) with a methanol salesman. I asked who his biggest customer was and he cited a company that makes formaldehyde. I was shocked (based on the known carcinogenic properties of formaldehyde) that there would be that much use for it. He stated they sold lots of it to cattle farmers to put in the guards to prevent disease.
Thanks for the corrected information.
BTW - did you use formaldehyde in your dip? I know it was used in Who killed Roger Rabbit?

5 Likes

We call that a cattle grid in Australia. In my experience when you ween the calves from the heifers, the heifers suddenly develop Harry Houdini like skills and can circumvent almost any obstacle.

8 Likes

The cattle guards I’ve seen have the pipes spaced a little closer than that one. When spaced closer the cow/bull whatever can’t tiptoe through. And yeah, I love it when they’re weaning the calves because their moms bellow non-stop for a few days making it hard to sleep.

4 Likes

We never dipped cattle, although we’d spray on range, and there were insecticide saturated scratchers available.

on the other hand, I also managed the soil remediation of a former rangeland dip tank location. The soil was hauled off as a listed hazardous waste (I forget the particular pesticide).

I’m not familiar with a shallow walkthru tank, but can see it to be practical for disinfecting (i.e.formaldehyde).

6 Likes

Bulls can be bos indicus

We called those cattle ‘gates’ where I grew up in Western Canada, and they we generally deeper.

2 Likes

Yes, in this context bulls are male cattle of various domesticated subspecies.

You realize you’re correcting a former rancher, right?

2 Likes

Just a little light banter. As the Scots say, “Dinna vache yersel”.

4 Likes

:wink:

10 Likes

Release the cow catchers!

6 Likes

cattle “stop” in NZ…

6 Likes

A “battery” in the context of energy storage devices commonly known as batteries, really means a battery of electrical storage cells. And yes, there can be a single cell battery. No, it doesn’t make a lot of sense.

1 Like

I’ve heard of entire flocks of sheep being sent off for “processing” when one leans to circumvent the stock guard like this. The way it was told to me is you need to kill the smart one and anyone else who may have learned from watching.

It’s the only way we keep the sheep from taking over.

7 Likes

It’s not every day you pick up valuable political science tips while dealing with sheep; but there are apparently exceptions.

7 Likes

Merriam Webster: Cow

2 : a domestic bovine animal regardless of sex or age

It is also a catch-all.

2 Likes

Not so fast!

6 Likes

Yeah, well, “beef” in that case refers to “an adult cow, steer, or bull raised for its meat.”. It’s not the same as “cow”, and I find it it about as offensive as referring to people as “human resources”. Decowizing, so to speak.

Maybe we should abandon the term beef completely, and just say "dead cow :thinking: