Students at Kutztown University warned of the aggressive cow on campus: "all should stay away from cow"

Originally published at: Students at Kutztown University warned of the aggressive cow on campus: "all should stay away from cow" | Boing Boing

3 Likes

The cow is going to be furious when it discovers it now has $10k in student loans.

14 Likes

KUPD said the cow seemed scared and unfamiliar with its surroundings.

Epix No Shit GIF by Get Shorty

On the other hand, this is typical for freshmen… :man_shrugging:

14 Likes

That’s odd. Usually late August is when they have Moo-ve In day.

13 Likes

My ex-wife was involved in bringing a cow to a high school pep rally in the '60s. The poor animal died of shock hours later.

1 Like

Maybe that’s why I hear people yelling “Hay! Haven’t you herd? you’re pasture moove out day!”

6 Likes

Terminology?
That cow has no udders.
Does a heifer not have visible udders? I am not a cow expert.
I hope no one tries to milk it.
I see no evidence that it is a bull either. The picture is not ideal.
Maybe it is a steer? Aggressiveness points to it being a bull.
Of course, if I was made into a steer I would be in a bad mood.

I am always confused by the various terms. A “cow” seems to me to be a “milch cow” a milking cow. A heifer is a cow that is not mature enough to milk or has not given birth to a calf so it will not produce milk yet. A bull is a male cow used for breeding. A steer is a castrated bull raised for meat. I believe an ox is a bull, uncastrated, that has been trained to pull carts, used for traction. I have doubts about that one. Oxen seem very chill. I would expect them to be castrated also. I do not know if “cow” is the proper word for a random individual. “Cattle” is the collective, I think, but you don’t have a individual “cattle”. I guess cow is the correct term for one individual of unknown gender.

2 Likes

The comedic timing in that video was chef kiss

The slow pan across, giving you time to absorb the ludicrousness, then the pan back for the punchline :joy:

4 Likes

16 Likes

:grimacing: Ok, let’s hope it’s just thirsty…

7 Likes

It seemed lost, so clearly somebody gave it a bum steer.

4 Likes

As a member of a formerly cattle ranching family, I may be in a position to assist.

Cow: Female of the species
Bull: Male of the species
Heifer: Young female with no calf
Steer: Castrated male
Ox: Different species
Cattle: Plural of species

Unknown individual is called a cow because you’re playing the odds. Bulls are only kept in very small numbers so odds are what you’re seeing is a cow. Also bulls are generally huge and have horns so they’re hard to miss.

All these terms are independent of the type of cow (beef or dairy).

Now if you want some complicated terminology, let’s talk horses. Hoo boy, buckle up. Or saddle up, as it were.

13 Likes

That’s no way to speak of your wife.

5 Likes

Cows are killers.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Let’s hope the cops just stay out of it:

1 Like

Cows kill more people than sharks? I don’t understand how they could kill any sharks.

7 Likes

Martial arts skills.

10 Likes

Just like our cats - if you chase them, they’ll run from you. It seems unlikely that opening a can of tuna for the cow will have the same effect it does on our cats.

3 Likes

3 Likes