This week's happiest cows galloped down a highway after escaping their farm

Originally published at: This week's happiest cows galloped down a highway after escaping their farm | Boing Boing

8 Likes

I witnessed a herd of goats on the lamb this past summer running along I-81 in Virginia.

I like to think that they made it.

13 Likes

“We’re freee! Freee I tell you!”

12 Likes

Moo moo. Moo moo moo.

7 Likes

Of course I stumble onto this while enjoying a double cheeseburger.

welp-37730160

13 Likes

My wife used to raise money for a certain large Midwestern university with a large agriculture program. Her employer built a new office when she’s been there a couple of years facing the ag program’s cow pens (albeit across a major road).

Every couple of months somebody would leave the gate unlatched–or not latched well enough–and the cows would make a break for it. They’d mill around for 30-60 minutes until somebody figured it out and sent some poor grad student(s) down to wrangle them back. It was great entertainment.

However, it is not so fun when they mill around on the road you’re trying to use to get home, as I found out on one of the few occasions when I went hunting.

The people on the other side of the building had a great view into Naked Grad Student’s apartment, so I think she did pretty well.

Edit: I done edited bad.

6 Likes

This looks like the junior varsity warm up to the running of the bulls.
Meanwhile back at the farm, someone is getting a serious verbal thrashing.

1 Like

knock, knock. Who’s there? Interrupting cow. Interrupting… MOO

(I think your story might have had it’s middle run over by a herd of cows.)

1 Like

Doh!

I heard that one as Impatient Cow, and apparently I am Impatient Editor.

1 Like

Did they have a leader?

6 Likes
6 Likes

13 Likes

I’m reminded of a friend in high school who lived outside the city limits a few miles from us. He awoke in the middle of the night to a herd of cows milling around on his back patio when they broke out of a neighboring pasture.

5 Likes

Look at them girls go!

3 Likes

Meanwhile, in Switzerland, this is considered an eco-friendly way to move cows, using much less diesel than doing it with tractors, but making some emissions, anyway. :cow2::poop:

5 Likes

Later…

5 Likes

Such a great performance… I always forget about how amazing he was, constantly overshadowed by bigger names at Woodstock, until I get reminded like this, and it was the perfect way to remind me.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Sad about the cheeseburger, but why the picture of a lawyer?

2 Likes

Some years ago, I was stuck solid in a traffic jam on the northbound M73, wondering what the hell was going on and looking with envy at the other, completely empty, carriageway, when I saw … pretty much exactly what was in that video. A herd of cows, cantering southwards down the motorway with looks of grim determination.

An agricultural lorry had overturned and shed its bovine load, who immediately sought freedom. Strathclyde Police eventually got them all rounded up, the southbound carriageway was reopened, and things started to clear.

Except … they missed some of the cows (which I never understood: did the lorry not have a manifest? Are cows particularly hard to count?), who bunkered down in the fields overnight and emerged the next day to repeat the japes.

The following year, the same thing happened again, except this time with chickens. Sadly I didn’t get to see them, I just got caught in the chaos. (This section of the M73 forms a triangle with the M8 and the M80 just outside Glasgow: any half-way significant accident or other disruption here will cause a large part of the Scottish motorway system to snarl up.)

6 Likes

That poor, tired lamb.

3 Likes