CDC issues dire warning against kissing, or even snuggling, turtles

Originally published at: CDC issues dire warning against kissing, or even snuggling, turtles | Boing Boing

4 Likes

How could it ever be wrong to kiss a handsome turtleboi?!
Snapping Turtle Watermelon GIF

10 Likes

We know where that leads…

80s 1980s GIF

11 Likes

Kawaii GIF by 100% Soft

8 Likes

Untitled

Although any turtle can carry Salmonella germs that can spread to you and make you sick, turtles with shells less than 4 inches long are a known source of illness.

(who knew Salmonella respected imperial units)

7 Likes

If you do enjoy spending quality time with turtles, “don’t kiss or snuggle your turtle, and don’t eat or drink around it.”

So no martinis with the turtles, then. Understood.

2 Likes

That’s why you give them a protective coating.

10Fy

12 Likes

3 Likes

Shocked Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles GIF

7 Likes

I mean, it is a disease.

2 Likes

9 Likes

They’ll stop me from kissing turtles when they pry it from my cold, dead lips!

4 Likes

On that note a colony of turtles has turned up in my in-laws hometown in Nara Japan. Either that or I never noticed them when visiting.

6 Likes

I was always very careful about washing my hands after handling my RES or after cleaning it’s tank. I was well aware of the salmonella risk.

5 Likes

Well, there goes my weekend plans.

4 Likes

The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t. Not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

11 Likes

If I remember right – and this is like half-recollected 3rd-hand knowledge so take it with a grain of salt – the thing about turtles less than 4 inches being banned has to do with the presumption that kids can stick a 4-inch or smaller turtle in their mouth, but I guess turtles bigger than 4 inches are not at risk?

2 Likes

Fun fact - there is a pet turtle in Rocky, and Sylvester Stallone took it home and still has it.

7 Likes

The rocket-propelled ones are especially dangerous.

3 Likes

Cuff… or Link?

1 Like