Turtles eating watermelons

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/05/turtles-eating-watermelons.html

6 Likes

My sister had a small box turtle when we were teenagers, and he (?) would go nuts for a strawberry.

11 Likes

Don’t try with snapping turtles. if you are not sure what kind of turtle it is, please just don’t feed them.

6 Likes

I believe those are red eared sliders. My kid hooked one fishing last year.

4 Likes

I like turtles!

8 Likes

He named the catfish Odie. :joy:

7 Likes

Alright, you’re great Zombie!

10 Likes

We had blackberries and gopher turtles in our back yard. We would put blackberries on the ends of sticks and coax the turtles out of their holes. When my mother would come out to collect blackberries the turtles would crawl right up to her, hoping to be fed.

6 Likes

A brief demo of someone who thinks they know how to handle a snapping turtle, nope:

They’ve been snapping for 90 million years, so it has a successful physiology/set of skills:

7 Likes

I helped scoot one a bit bigger than that across the road a couple weeks ago. I just nudged his butt with my foot, though.

2 Likes

Good lord that is one lucky idiot. The fact that he touched its shell forward of the rear legs shows just how little he knows about handling them.

3 Likes

Soft shell turtles are the worst for “scooting across the road”. I typically use a construction stake or similar to do the scooting for me.

Reason: soft shells have necks that are about a mile long and boy, howdy, are they aggressive. I’d rather not do the crazy nudge-with-foot-dance-out-of-the-way game in traffic :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I think the one I scooted was the “common” snapping turtle. At least I’ve never heard them called soft shelled. I know they can reach back which is why I avoided picking it up. But he only took one foot nudge and he moved it across the road. Just wanted to make sure he got across ok.

I saw a box turtle the week after but it was on a bit of road that I couldn’t pull of on. I think he made it across ok, though.

2 Likes

we had red eared sliders in college (they are now…ahem…free range) and the only thing we could get them to eat consistently was canteloupe and tiny bits of salmon. we used to laugh at their expensive tastes over our cups o’ noodles…

4 Likes

Looks like I need to consider getting my RES some watermelon. Not a hard decision to make, I love it myself.

3 Likes
2 Likes

the gentle monching sounds are killing meeeee
monchmonchmonch

2 Likes

I think that particular test provoked an emotional response.

That means he’s not a bot, right?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.