Celebrate Apollo 11 history by watching Buzz Aldrin punch this jerk in the face

From what I understand, punching folks in the jaw can lead to you damaging your knuckles. Apparently the preferred method is a knee to the groin followed by kicks to head. Steel toecaps are probably a good idea as there are a lot of right-whingers out there. :smile:

Gaze not long into the American psyche lest the American psyche gaze back into you.

Apparently the crew belong to Sibrel. Kind of hoist by his own petard.

From the wiki of all knowledge:

Bart Sibrel incident
On September 9, 2002, Aldrin was lured to a Beverly Hills hotel on the pretext of being interviewed for a Japanese childrenā€™s television show on the subject of space. When he arrived, Apollo Conspiracy proponent Bart Sibrel accosted him with a film crew and demanded he swear on a Bible that the Moon landings were not faked, insisting that Aldrin and others had lied about walking on the Moon. After a brief confrontation, and moments after Sibrel called him ā€œa liar and a thiefā€,[25] Aldrin punched Sibrel in the jaw. The police determined that Aldrin was provoked and no charges were filed.[26] Aldrin dedicates a chapter to this incident in his autobiography Magnificent Desolation.[27]

4 Likes

Oh, Iā€™m stealing that!!!

3 Likes

Kudos to our gentle northernly neighbors then.

However, I do think you should make one exception and give olā€™ Rob Ford a good whack on the noggin.

4 Likes

Seriouslyā€”ā€œnothing?ā€ So youā€™d face charges in Canada for hitting someone back?

1 Like

Donā€™t want none, donā€™t start none.

1 Like

I did and it was fucking badass, he was awesome. One of the highlights.

2 Likes
It's what right-wingers do all day long to everyone else: shrink back into their dark corner while calling everybody else cowards, traitors and liars. I'd like to punch every single one of them in the jaw.

Iā€™m pretty right-wing by bOINGbOING standards. Can I wear head protection?

1 Like

Non-US citizens are exempt from my fatwa. No worries. I was referring to fundy neocons and teabaggers.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m a US type, but on the other hand definitely not a teabagger, fundy or neocon. I donā€™t consider those guys True Scotsmen anywayā€¦ anybody who is against conservation is not a conservative, they are pro-business radicals, just like that damned traitor Ronald Reagan was.

I think Iā€™m probably an archaic form of conservative at this point, an archaeopteryx of the right wing; the kind of Republican who founded the party, like Salmon Chase or Abner Kneeland.

4 Likes

No, he wouldnā€™t have. I mean, no more than he did in the US.

First of all, we Canadians give just as much deference to famous white men as the Americans do, so heā€™d get a pass on that. Second, people punch each other all the time and the police donā€™t haul them off to jail every time, they assess the situation and try to use their judgement.

If the man was seriously injured or if Aldrin had a history of similar incidents then I imagine it would be taken more seriously, but letā€™s not forget that the guy had already assaulted Aldrin (yes, jabbing someone with a bible is assault) and that he was behaving in a physically threatening manner. If someone is engaging in escalating physically aggressive behaviour towards you and refusing to back down when you ask them, one punch or shove is not going to land you with serious charges.

If charges were pressed, I can only imagine he would plead guilty and be cautioned not to do it again before being sent on his way.

4 Likes

Iā€™m a dyed-in-the-wool social liberal, but a conservative in the same terms you described: conservation, personal freedom, fair taxation, balanced, non-corrupt government budgets, and support/adoration for small business. Which could also be argued as liberal tendencies, too, adding in a heavy social aspect that I didnā€™t bother to describe.

No, I donā€™t want to really punch anyone in the face. But I think we are clear on who sucks and deserves it.

5 Likes

Iā€™m Canadian too, and we have this thing called ā€œself-defenceā€. Certainly the police would have been called in a case like this (as they were in the US), but given that a much larger, younger man hit the senior citizen with a book first, and given that the senior citizen a) asked the man to leave several times and b) didnā€™t cause permanent damage, I doubt very much they would have wasted a Crown Attorneyā€™s time with it. A lot worse happens outside of bars most Saturday nights without the cops even being called.

And maybe we used to be civilised, but we have the Harper Government now. Any halo we had before is badly tarnished.

3 Likes

Youā€™d face the charges, but in a case like this they probably wouldnā€™t stick. I do know of someone who got hit lightly and turned around and flattened the person who started it ā€“ they got charged.

Thatā€™s more or less what happened here. The District Attorney looked into the incident but chose to drop charges against Aldrin when it became clear that the other guy had physically accosted him first.

Always the problem with videotape. If you want coverage of him poking you thereā€™s probably earlier coverage that can be subpoenaed and show you poking them.

So that implies that you fall slightly to the left of Obama? :smile:

2 Likes

So, Nixon?

4 Likes

I personally found this video neither satisfying nor entertaining. Please get back to me when you have footage of Rush Limbaugh and Rob Ford duking it out over a pile of prescription painkillers and pork chops.

3 Likes