Celebrate Banned Books Week (October 1-7) with Harris County Public Library, which was recently declared a "book sanctuary"

Originally published at: Celebrate Banned Books Week (October 1-7) with Harris County Public Library, which was recently declared a "book sanctuary" | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Particularly notable for being Harris County, as the State of Texas took over all Houston ISD schools a few months back and started shutting down school libraries. This is a middle finger in the face of the state’s pet school superintendent and Republicans in state government.

6 Likes

I just had an image of Quasimodo shouting “Sanctuary!” from atop the library façade as he triumphanty holds a big sack of banned books above his head.

5 Likes

Good stuff; more of this, please.

7 Likes

Houston Public Libraries cover the city, and Harris County libraries are spread through less urban, more republican leaning communities surrounding the city. So for HCPL to do this is especially great. I’m not currently a member but will sooon change that (there is a Houston public library just a few blocks away so no reason to join the county library before).

6 Likes

Damn skippy!

5 Likes

This is amazingly easy to accomplish, of course. Pick up literally any book of substance and it’s been challenged. If it’s been challenged, it’s been banned, officially or not, from some libraries. I can make some suggestions that I think are good, as I’m sure can @MadLibrarian !

3 Likes

The Palace Project has an app to share digital versions of banned books

3 Likes

While it’s helpful to consult a librarian also check to see if the Banned Wagon is coming to your area.

2 Likes

Another book tour:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.