Texas constable terrorizes librarians

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/30/texas-constable-terrorizes-librarians.html

11 Likes

Frustrated Star Trek GIF

23 Likes

Who the fuck votes for an asshole like that?

18 Likes

Other assholes like that.

28 Likes

Hood County is a county in the U.S. state of Texas. As of the 2020 census, the population was 61,598. Its county seat is Granbury. The county is named for John Bell Hood, a Confederate lieutenant general and the commander of Hood’s Texas Brigade.

Granbury is about 40 miles north of Hico - which is notable as being the birthplace of the Texas Klu Klux Klan (and still has a local diner called the Koffee Kup Kafe).

So yeah…those are the type of folks who vote for an asshole like that.

18 Likes

If I’m reading this right he is a deputy constable (an unelected LEO) who was unsuccessful in his bid to run for county sheriff. So apparently he wasn’t able to win over a critical mass of voters even in a place as awful and racist as @KowboyBob describes.

Which doesn’t change the fact that he still occupies a position of power he has no place being in.

16 Likes

Blimey, they named their county after this loser?

7 Likes

A constable in Texas spent years harassing librarians who would not allow him to censure the library.

“Censure” or “censor”?

6 Likes

I think both words work here, actually.

I have no idea how they come up with this shit. Do you know how many times the word ‘sheriff’ appears in the US Constitution? Zero. Zero times. Sheriffs are not mentioned in the Constitution. This is the exact same misguided logic that informs Sovereign Citizen movements.

17 Likes

Yup: WEIRD. (Among other things.)

3 Likes

It’s a great life if you believe whatever you need to believe to justify the fact that legally and constitutionally you can tell everyone else you’re in charge and they can fucc off.

8 Likes

It is mystifying that they believe that there’s special super sekrit laws that somehow trump all the other, fake laws that everyone else uses, and not ‘the people with the state monopoly on violence (and all the money) make the laws’.

6 Likes

yes. yes, they did.
it is a horrible, horrible place that i am intimately (and ashamedly) aware of, because i grew up there!
this county is where the high limestone escarpment of the western reaches of the upper Brazos river washes down into the red clay soils of the grassland farms below. it could be a beautiful place. however, the extremely fucking backward attitudes of the most ignorant, racist, xtian fundamentalist assholes you could ever meet, all seem to have converged in the area to its blight.
me? bitter? no, i have nothing to be bitter about after leaving that place forever at 18yo, after graduating Granbury High. Dear Brother made it out a year later, but had to enlist in order to safely get away for good.
we don’t look back.
fuck that place.
i am not surprised.

8 Likes

He “thinks” he’s a modern day sheriff of nottingham, and is still convinced that Robin Hood is the bad guy.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.