Celebrate Star Trek’s 50th anniversary by revisiting Deep Space Nine

I guess that term works. If you think about, its even more obvious with Historical Fiction. What do bodice rippers, Sharpe’s Rifles, Shakespeare’s histories, and Name of the Rose have in common other than they’re set in the past? They’re different genres too.

2 Likes

Hm… this is an interesting line of thinking, actually. Sort of turns the notion of “genre fiction” on it’s head a bit? There seems to be intersecting ways to think about this stuff, rather than just the notion of how book stores and publishers classify stuff. Works with music, too… like punk is less about a sound and more about a mode of production.

1 Like

I thought the last full paragraph of this article was interesting (about a comment that Shimmerman made at a panel at a convention this year):

That one redshirt always managed to screw things up at the last minute.

5 Likes

Not sure I can follow you there. I prefer to “black box” art. Art that can’t stand up without it’s context is pretty weak, like a painting that sucks unless you read the title. There was great punk that was created in chaos, and similar sounding punk that was carefully constructed by exacting artists.

Never mind… just some silly ideas I’ve had! :wink:

I just thought of that interview with Chakotay

and having forgotten most of the subtleties of Kira’s character ‘arc’, I’m thinking that it would be fun to have a non-federation citizen cast in the role of skipper.

'You believe this tripe? Let me tell you what this so-called prime directive really means!"

I guess that was sort of the intent with Enterprise (it being pre-federation, and all), but it didn’t break the mold. Guess they were too afraid of pissing people off.

6 Likes

How can you people not love Voyager?

I love Voyager but even I know they had more than their far share of shit episodes.

Of course, if you go by the official Star Trek FaceBook page and the neckbeards playing Star Trek Online it’s because Janeway owned a vagina.

Yeah, the love I carry for Voyager is more in spite of the show than because of it. I’m not sure if I am ok with liking something for its squandered potential, but I don’t lose sleep over it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.