Celebrate the proto-rave: Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade 50th Anniversary Performance

Originally published at: Celebrate the proto-rave: Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade 50th Anniversary Performance | Boing Boing

1 Like

I don’t think I ever saw this parade, even when I was travelling regularly to SF / LA, but I was always a huge fan of it, even as a kid, because Disney had pioneered an (originally analog!) communications system between the floats and the music played to have the lights all work in sequence with the music, and I thought it was so awesome to have people dedicated to solving problems like that.

The fact that a place like Disney Imagineering still exists and is still basically a blue-sky invention house is incredible. Cory spent a year there as a fellow, and this parade (and the tech behind it) is a big part of that inventive legacy.

9 Likes

The Mardi Gras electric parade at Universal Studios Orlando has better electrified Burning Man costumes than I have ever seen on the playa. It was depressing to realize.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.