Celebrity chef attempts DIY Pringles

That sounds like balls of fun.
Getting banned from Walmart might be the funnest part.

2 Likes

Doesn’t it though?

halt-catch-fire-donna-okay-dude-laughs|nullxnull

1 Like

I’ve an idea, lets have a rally!

2 Likes

Now I’m imagining a whole group of people showing up at a walmart with pringle cans and wine at 6am, holding a mobility scooter race/rally.

6 Likes

Yep… with demolition derby rules.
Um, are there demolition derby rules?

2 Likes

Surprisingly, yes, there are rules to a demolition derby!

Who knew!?!

3 Likes

They… aren’t exactly trying to make Pringles for the sake of convenience. It’s an exercise in reverse-engineering food science, where talented chefs examine a food item we don’t even think about and try to figure out what’s in it and how it’s made. They inevitably discover little gems along the way – unexpected ingredients or techniques that give the food that very specific familiar flavor, texture, or appearance. Personally, I find them fascinating and always learn something interesting from deconstructing food like this. But feel free to hate them!

5 Likes

A bit of clarity I put in later comments:

To the extent these videos are educational and interesting from a food science perspective, I think they’re interesting!

To the extent they come off as a stunt, meh!

I need to know one detail… did she pour the wine into an empty Pringles can, or perhaps just slide a skinny bottle inside. The latter seems reasonable to me for some reason.

I don’t know, but either would work. I’m guessing the former, myself.

Just do whatever works best in your case!

Drunk Scooter Shopping with Mindysan could be hit! I’d watch that. :wink:

4 Likes

“The good professor takes you through a historical romp through Asheville this week on an exciting tour of the downtown arts district… have your pringles can of Cabernet handy folks!” Just picked a random city

“Next week, putter from the Church down to the expanding Georgia State University campus, where we’ll sample the heavenly falafal of Ali Baba’s! Pair your Pinot and Pringles accordingly!”

4 Likes

Teaser Trailer:

tenor%20(17)

2 Likes

Yeah… I promise, I look nothing like that! :wink: In my younger days I looked probably more Bjorkish… with lighter hair, I guess. Now a days I’m a bit heavier, too.

bjorkpoets

5 Likes

I’d follow Bjork on a tour anywhere! I think the show’s a hit! :smile:

2 Likes

Always be yourself, unless you can be Bjork, then always be Bjork. :heart::heart_eyes:

5 Likes

wine%20in%20a%20can

4 Likes

To be fair, the series more typically provides a gourmet spin on the junk food being simulated—this episode was notable for simply trying to reproduce Pringles sans artistry. So they get high marks for maker-ness, but low marks for foodie and the innovative aspects of creativity.

The “gourmet” part came in with the seasonings; she recognized that the crunch and shape of a Pringle is so iconic that her goal was to replicate it as closely as possible, then use less-industrial seasonings like powdered vinegar and powdered sour cream. It’s kind of wonderful watching her co-workers pop them in their mouths and go wide-eyed, getting that exact nostalgic Pringles crunch from them.

I am afraid I disagree with you for this episode, unlike previous episodes where, for example, she selected fancy finishing salts, dark chocolates, etc. the seasonings in this episode were simply off-the-shelf powdered flavorants, literally the same stuff used by the junk food manufacturers.