CES unrevokes robotics prize to women's sex toy

Um… why not both(?)

Verbing weirds language!

16 Likes

I’m more bothered by Mark using “unrevokes” as a word! “Reinstates” maybe?

3 Likes

If the women don’t find your aesthetic design appealing, they can at least admire your duct tape application protocol.

6 Likes

Interestingly:

The term learnings was not in common use in the 19th and 20th century, though the countable noun sense learning (“thing learned”) dates to Middle English (14th century; see leornyng ), and the plural learnings to Early Modern English. Note that early use of learnings often have the sense or connotation “teachings” (see examples above), as was the case of learn generally. It has found occasional use for centuries, including by Shakespeare,[1][2] and parallel constructions are commonplace – compare teachings and findings .
However, from circa 2000 it became a buzzword in business speak, particularly in constructions such as “key learnings ” or “apply these learnings ”; this was preceded by occasional educational use from 1950s. Some disapprove of this, and it sounds ungrammatical enough to be used as an example of broken English, as in the comedy Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006). Suggested alternatives include lessons learned , “things one learned” – or simply lessonsdiscoveries , findings , insights , and takeaways .

5 Likes

Business speak, indeed.
Like when people use “ask” as a noun as well.
I was on a con call with someone and that came up. I said - “I would be more than happy to take care of that for you, but you have to promise me one thing” . What’s that? “Promise me you’ll stop using “ask” as a noun.”
She laughed. I wasn’t really joking, tho.
And I hate business speak. For a while, a guy that I work with - who I really like - kept using the term “swivel chair” as a verb as in we were going to “swivel chair this over to that team”. Me inside - PLEASE STOP SAYING THAT!!

4 Likes

Too little, too late, sexist pricks.

But kudos to Osé for that response, which is devastatingly scathing through the simple expedient of holding a mirror up to the hypocrites at CES.

9 Likes

I’m verbing right now.

8 Likes

Among all that is offensive here, “taking these learnings” takes the cake.

2 Likes

Why not just keep repeating this whole cycle for a little while …

sdmikevBBS Captain

abutilon

11h

we look forward to taking these learnings

“learnings”
That rubs me the wrong way. As it were.
I hate when people take verbs and turn them into nouns.

Yes I too have no liking for languaging by committee that goes octopussyfooting around the meanings. (As it were indeed.) “Keynoting,” “gifting,” “admin assisting,” “make the ask” etc. As Auld_Lang_Syne points out, learning is a noun but somehow it doesn’t sound good with a plural. I’m sure there is someone here who can help with the grammaring for that.

On the other hand I love when people turn verbs into nouns, like “eats” for food, “ride” for car & “kicks” for shoes.

Anyway, just sidenoting that despite the klutzing around it was better sorrying than some we’ve heard lately.

6 Likes

Without something to use as a scale reference, that picture could be of a snazzy new Bluetooth earphone.

1 Like

There are several similar products on the market. I can verify this one works really, really well.

First it was in.
Then it was out.
Now it’s in again.
Working as intended?

1 Like

I like “unrevokes” here. I think it conveys exactly what it is intended to convey in a way that “reinstates” would not.

4 Likes

That’ll learn 'em.

4 Likes

I’m weirding all the time!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.