CES rescinds own award from sex toy because sex toys are obscene

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/08/ces-rescinds-own-award-from-se.html

Its being tumblrized.

It’s like Erlichman’s explanation of the drug war. They can’t quite make being a liberal illegal, but especially in privately owned venues they can ban anything liberals might approve of.

15 Likes

Heheheheheheh…“Buzzfeed”…

3 Likes

The double standard sucks.

On the plus side, the publicity Osé will get for having the reward rescinded will completely eclipse any benefit they would have seen from the “CES Award Winner” tag they would have been able to stick on their packaging.

14 Likes

The new head of CES?

5 Likes

When I was a kid, it was the Consumer Electronics Show, and when home computers came along, obviously they fit in.

3 Likes

It gives me the yuckies.

Could they put “CES Award Winner and Then They Snatched it Back”?

4 Likes

Hand-wringing milquetoast yuppieism strikes again. Don’t worry, I’m sure no one reading or complaining about it here has ever unwittingly been part of a larger trend.

1 Like

Do they even make yuppies anymore? also what does wittingly or unwittingly being part of a trend (large or small) have to do with being worried about puritanical old white men excluding marginalized folks?

3 Likes

3 Likes

22 Likes

“Snatched” might not be the best word to use for this particular product.

6 Likes

Just because they don’t dress the same, and keep more flexible hours, doesn’t mean they aren’t still running around. I leave it to others to update the name.

1 Like

Sex dolls = for men = good
vibrators = for women = baaaaaadddddd

17 Likes

Hipsters? Are they hipsters now? The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt suggested it was hipsters… the urban vanguard of gentrification…

kimmy-schmidt-lillian-die-hipsters

3 Likes

I’m so allergic to the word now I forget it exists and my brain pareidolias in substitutes.

4 Likes

I feel like hipsters get a bad rap. Creative? cares about “artisan” whatever (even if it’s not something I care about) are these qualities bad? Ironically getting a mullet hair cut and/or drinking PBR? inherently bad yes. I guess it’s a coin toss.

1 Like

It’s less about the hipsters themselves and more about gentrification.

5 Likes

I’m probably missing how this detached talking head is called a sex robot.