Chagrin Falls, USA: A lesson in structural racism

You’re right. It’s exhausting-- trying to keep up with what the right-wing zeitgeist has tried to make anathema. So don’t. I am a liberal, atheistical, human secularist, social democrat and I do not apologize for it. I don’t care if they are afraid of what I believe. I will stand for what I believe is right. I’ll entertain their arguments, I will try to empathize with them. But I will not ignore facts. I will not let their feelings or deeply held religious beliefs about things trump reality. In my view, the only primum mobile for the Republicans is power. Their only goal is the concentration and protection of capital. Can any one persuade me that they care about anything else? And if that’s all they care about, then I consign them to the dustbin.

5 Likes

I don’t think they’re quite that monolithic.

A lot also care about what they think of as traditional values. Including explicitly Christian ones. Many also fear black and brown people, and so care about finding ways to at least keep away from them.

While many R politicians cynically deploy such beliefs and values in pursuit of power, many of them (and many R voters) actually believe a lot of that horseshit.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.