Chalk, and a lack of concern for others, do not make a safe and effective speedbump

In the UK speed bumps used to be called “Sleeping Policemen”.

I live in a rat-run in the UK which has a quarter mile of no footpath (Sidewalk). It’s the go-to route for people collecting their kids from the two primary schools at the top of the road. A lot of folks walk, and I walk my dogs at school-run time. Recently the council bowed to local pressure and put up speed limit signs - 20 mph. It’s horrifying to see so many parent disregard the speed limit. Early in the morning I hear people go past at speeds which must be more than forty miles per hour - you can tell just by the doppler effect. It’s normally the case that road signs in the UK are not erected until there has been a serious accident, with someone killed. Another way of looking at it is
“Road signs require a human sacrifice.”

6 Likes

UK speed limits are always posted in mp/h. They botched metrification and are using a mix of systems. But really it’s only car speeds, people’s heights and weights and beer volumes that are measured in the old system.

As for the speed limit: it’s a country lane, that’s usually what their speed limit is. You’re still supposed to drive responsibly but people are tearing along them with hedgerows or drystone walls on both sides and no real visibility.

3 Likes

The Wicker Man approach to road safety

4 Likes

Well, I have not heard that term here for a very long time. Just speed bumps these days.

1 Like

It is a good illustration of driver awareness and stopping distances. :scream:

1 Like
3 Likes

And in the UK they call them “sleeping policemen”. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

or Lazy Filth.

2 Likes

Yeah, honestly. “lack of concern for others” is from the people piloting a two-ton vehicle with poor visibility and capable of excessive speeds, not the people who are doing what they feel the have to to keep pedestrians in their neighbourhood safe.

So typically a car’s fuel efficiency is measured in miles per gallon, or litres per 100 km (why it’s not just kilometres per litre is another issue). How do they do it in the UK, if they use miles and litres?

We have lots of little holdovers from Imperial as well in Canada. People’s weight or height is always in feet/inches and pounds. Measuring stuff, especially in the trades, is still typically inches and feet.

The former, mpg, as far as I know.

Weird that Canada does kph then, isn’t it?

Perhaps if people drove their cars as though other humans existed and were real, people wouldn’t feel a need to do this to protect their lives and their families.

2 Likes

Sidewalks? In America? Land of the automobile? Wash your mouth out. You’l l be saying that walking is good for you, next! /s :wink:

2 Likes

Get a life? How about, save a life, right back at’cha.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.