Check out how the Koreans do corndogs

I spent several months in Korea, and I saw many corn dogs during my stay, but never one like this. The ones I saw were much more like the ones that Americans are used to, with one difference: they were double or sometimes triple-dipped and re-cooked each time. When you order corn dogs in the US the expectation is that they dip and deep fry it fresh for you, but the Korean ones were dipped and cooked in advance, then kept warm as they awaited sale to customers. My impression was that if they didn’t sell quickly and started to get soggy that’s when they’d re-dip them, so you could estimate the age of the dog by counting the rings like on a tree.

This was about 20 years ago so hopefully it’s no longer a common practice there. I was also mostly in smaller towns in the East side of the country so maybe they just weren’t as good at this street food as the folks in big cities like Seoul.

1 Like

There is a Korean hotdog place in Overland Park, and OMG, it is delicious. The rice dough is soooo much better than the corn dough used on corn dogs.

I had one that was just basically a giant cheese stick and it was sooo goey and good.

So yes, if you have one near you, check it out!

2 Likes

there’s a place in town that just opened that sells these and we went and tried them. Like Funyuns, they’re more delicious in theory than in practice.

Aha! That’s interesting… I guess there’s various tater-tot/french-fry corndogs in the US, too. Wonder which came first…

They do a couple variants of that in the video, but that’s not much different from various deep-fried cheese (e.g. mozzarella sticks) you’ll find in the US.

1 Like

A this talk was getting me hungry, so I went ahead and ordered from the place that jokingly calls itself Zero Calorie (the text on the box says, “Once you’ve enjoyed eating this, you can start your diet from tomorrow.”) for lunch today. And yes, the white powder is 100% sugar.

3 Likes

My Mexican wife was mesmerized by this street corn churro dog. I think I’ll just have to plan a trip for us to Koreatown.

Super H Mart sells variations on these in the frozen food section. I’ve tried a few and they do tend to be sweeter that I expect. I wonder if that’s a preferred flavor profile in Korean cooking in general, or if having imported this idea from America the thought was “Americans like things too sweet, let’s add some sugar to make it more authentic!”

This post made me go get one yesterday. So good.

1 Like

Why is everything rolled in sugar?

I call bullshit, until I see their version of a chimichanga.
[Not that a chimichanga is ‘junk food’. They are Complete Nutrition in a crunchy package…]
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
And the condiments belong on the side, instead of spreading them on the ChurroWeenie & making the crust soggy.
That being said, I didn’t see any versions I wouldn’t try.
ETA:
This article has inspired me to use kimchi instead of sauerkraut, the next time I make Reubens.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.