Check out this awesome silhouette of a flying peacock

Originally published at: Check out this awesome silhouette of a flying peacock | Boing Boing

14 Likes

“As god is my witness, I didn’t think peacocks could fly.”

(despite discovering one on the roof of my house once)

18 Likes

i grew up on a farm in texass and we raised peafowl (among other cool critters).
can confirm 100% peacocks can fly.

15 Likes

those tail feathers must create a lot of drag - and yet they are more important for breeding than the decrease in flight ability is on survival !

8 Likes

“Get a haircut you hippy!”

“Oh man, what a drag.”

9 Likes

Saw one fly when on vacay in Hawaii, a few years back; it wasn’t quite as cool as this footage, though.

7 Likes

20 Likes

Peafowl are totally the drag queens of the bird world.

9 Likes

All that shimmying, butt shaking and their own personal feather boa - yeah, totally.

7 Likes

That’s a legendary pokemon. Articuno maybe?

3 Likes

We had them, in huge numbers at military school as a deterrent from escaping [or intruding], they screech [horrid] at such volume that you’d never get near the fence without alerting them, and thusly thwarted was your grasp for freedom.

14 Likes

Add me to the stack of people who thought that peafowl were flightless birds.

2 Likes

It looked like a dragon!

7 Likes

I´ve seen videos of them flying before. They look like some kind of mystical creature. Maybe that is where the legend of the Phoenix comes from.

3 Likes

They have an unpleasant cry too

At my primary school in Durham (UK) there were peafowl who lived on the roof of a nearby factory (I have no idea why, or how they survived).

2 Likes

There is something very primal about those sounds.

2 Likes

Definitely not soothing though. :slight_smile:

That was the most incredible thing I’ve seen in a long time. I knew peacocks could fly, but I didn’t realize how magnificent they do it.

1 Like

May I posit the pheasant as the second greatest birb drag queen?

Golden Pheasant

Hume’s Pheasant

Everyone who’s seen a ring-necked pheasant up fairly close knows they are also quite a spectacular birb.
One day mom had some expired corn meal and there was also a pheasant in our yard. She went out on the back porch steps, Called The Pheasant! “Chick chick chick!” And fuck if he didn’t come running! tophat-wow She sprinkled the corn meal out on the sidewalk for him, and she said he was so happy, he just couldn’t help having a scratch! tophat-biggrin

There are, or were, before the bird plague, many peafowl at liberty in the Detroit Zoo grounds. Spend enough time there, and you see them fly. It is quite a sight.

One afternoon, my then-BF and I visited the zoo. I brought along a couple whole wheat blueberry bagels, figuring we’d get ahem peckish. Sure enough, just as we felt hungry, a peacock hove into view. We began dropping small pieces of bagel as we went, so he naturally followed. tophat-biggrin Other visitors LOL’d, and we told them what we were giving him, which they agreed was an eminently suitable peacock treat. A zoo employee saw what was going on, but before he could tell us we were being naughty, I told him what we were feeding him. He cracked up, and gave us a wave which suggested it was okay with him, too. He walked off still chuckling and grinning.

white-peacock

Never seen a white one at the Detroit Zoo!

6 Likes

It wasn’t Ushaw Moor, was it? Seems to be a bit of a mystery where those ones came from (though a farm in Waterhouses has had peacocks for years and years).

2 Likes