Check out this gorgeous Blue Eye Samurai supercut

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/07/check-out-this-gorgeous-blue-eye-samurai-supercut.html

6 Likes

But seriously, watch Blue Eye Samurai.

hear hear! that series was @#$ amazing! plot, artwork, voice acting, everything.

5 Likes

I was mildly intrigued before but I think I’ll start watching it tonight

3 Likes

Do. You won’t regret it!

6 Likes

@Kii, let me second that! It’s a great show!

5 Likes

I will also join the “watch Blue Eye Samurai” chorus. It is a beautifully animated show, with some great characters and voice work.

The episode that felt out of place to me, was the storming the tower episode. It felt a bit like the protagonist had stepped out of Japan into a video game. Still enjoyed it though. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

appreciate the blurred spoiler!

I just watched the first episode and wow. Fantastic animation, good music, characters and story sucked me right in. I watched with the Japanese audio but might try the English for next episode. George Takei voices Seki, the attendant/tutor at the palace.

5 Likes

And Kenneth Branagh voices the main antagonist!
Does a spectacular job too, I didn’t even know it was him.

3 Likes

i see there are no conflicting opinions. it is a beautiful, violent, amazing show.

5 Likes

I’ll third it! Fantastic series!

3 Likes

Yes, most of us here are polite about not raining on others’ celebrations of fun stuff with a dissenting opinion.

I tried for three episodes, and the violence was what mainly turned me off. So did the impossible fighting acrobatics, and the revenge plot, which just isn’t the kind of character motivation I tend to like. Yes, it’s all visually well done, but that wasn’t enough to keep me going. :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

Excellent example of how to do it. You don’t have to like it, and in fact it’s helpful to others to learn what didn’t work for you, to help them decide whether or not it would work for them.

Hungry Food GIF by Hyper RPG

5 Likes

He did a great job playing the antagonist, but my main quibble with the show (and it’s a minor one) is that it would have made a lot more sense if the antagonist was Dutch, not a Brit. After all, Dutch traders really did have a presence on an island right off of Nagasaki during the isolationist Edo period, so it would have been more true to history. They were the only Western country that was allowed to do trade there at the time. Certainly the Brits were up to lots of bad stuff all around the world at the time but I feel like I’ve already seen a lot of movies and shows where greedy Brits are the antagonists, but not many about the Dutch, so it would have been an opportunity to do something different.

Still a big fan of the show though.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.