Cheesemaking YouTuber threatened with legal action by Grana Padano after showing people how to make similar cheese

Or at least a case of cheese.

1 Like

Yeah, well, that too.

1 Like

Although in the US, my understanding is that the reverse is somewhat true. The government has a minimum price for wholesale milk intended to be sold to consumers that is higher than that for milk intended to be made into cheese. It maintains that price by buying milk. And the government lets dairies sell only a part of their production on the open wholesale market for sale ton consumers. That had two effects, the government bought huge amounts of milk to keep the prices high, and so it made tons of cheese and butter from it. That is the origin of government cheese. And dairy companies created stores to sell directly to consumers, so that they wouldn’t have to sell part of their production at the lower, non- subsidized price that cheese makers paid. Which is how 7-11, Highs, and many other convenience stores got their start.

I think that all of this has changed, though. At least in part because of trade negotiations between the US and Canada. And because paying for refrigerated warehouses full of low quality cheese is a very inefficient market intervention.

1 Like

The Italians may be highly protective of their product names and designations, but they have a huge problem with counterfeit olive oil-oils being trucked into Italy and bottled with fake labels. Even Trader Joe’s now has oil labels “bottled in Italy” rather than Italian olive oil.

3 Likes

Not sure if this is happening in the rest of the world or whether the EU is using Australia as a testing ground for their provenance laws. This became a hot topic here last year when food manufacturers were being challenged for naming conventions down to the ‘style’, for example Greek Feta now has to be called “Greek styled goats cheese”.

Australia has had two main waves of Italian immigration: the gold rush and post WW2. There are more Greek people living in Melbourne than there are in Athens! With regard to Italian immigration there are people speaking dialects that no longer exist in Italy. Italian food cultures have been preserved and evolve here. It seems a great disservice to alienate Italian people living outside of Italy by disenfranchising them from the vernacular of their culture.

5 Likes

Apologies in advance:

When arranging an international cheese platter I will arrange the Edam and Gouda so I can :notes:pass the Dutch cheese on the left hand side :notes: :grin:

10 Likes

that is bad. Take my upvote

3 Likes

This is probably it. Also, the workers of said trade association are probably slightly older. Slightly older italians hardly understand english. They probably heard it as. “ungo bunga strunga Grana Pedano unga bunga.” :smiley:

Quit overzealous and serves them right to be Streisanded like this. I liked how the cheesemaker explicitly left the video up as long as possible to allow people to make copies.

Seeing they way they profile themselves at the front page (gunsgunsgunsguns) I think I’d prefer not to use that site.

2 Likes

There is a huge industry in counterfeit Olive oil. It never occured that counterfeit cheese would also be a problem. But of course, the industry is centuries old and worth a lotta money. (I mean itsa wortha a lotta money.) In fact it is, in effect, its own currency. There is a cheese bank. I wonder if one could invest in a wheel of cheese and let it mature for profit, in the same way one might invest in a barrel of whisky? Seems a damn fine idea to me. There is also a cheese futures market.

1 Like

“Greek” could be reasonably understood to mean made in Greece, surely.

“Greek ‘styled’ goats cheese”

My emphasis is on “styled” which I’m saying is fashioned like the original but not coming from the same place.

1 Like

I agree with you. I meant that “Greek” on its own (as in “Greek Feta”) means made in Greece. In Britain, I’m pretty sure that “Greek style” has been obligatory for “Greek” foods not made in Greece (and the equivalent for other countries) since the 1980s.

2 Likes

I barely make cheese anymore, but I’m going to make a few kilos of this just because fuck Grana Padana

5 Likes

4 Likes

Not to be pedantic (okay, to be pedantic), but this meme seems to be suffering a bit of a telephone effect. Until this thread, every time I saw it, it said: “Actually, it’s only quarantine if it comes from the Quarante region of France; otherwise, it’s just sparkling isolation.”

The difference being that Quarante is actually a place in France, whereas neither Quarantine nor Existentialism are.

5 Likes

8 Likes

In that case, I’m sure they would have thought of everything except cheese.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bunga-bunga-sex-case-brought-022310862.html

3 Likes

eBVhhQY

6 Likes
2 Likes

4 Likes