Cheesemaking YouTuber threatened with legal action by Grana Padano after showing people how to make similar cheese

Miyokos is just fine in a pinch, but vegan parm should be home-made. You already got the stuff.

The stuff I like to buy is vegan mozz. I continuously fail at making this unless its almost pure tapioca starch which i’m quite sure isn’t super good to eat with bread and meat. Right now grocery outlet (USA-PNW) has “Violife” which is my favorite and the most expensive except for when its at grocery outlet.

1 Like

Pretty sure you’re not correct. Pretty sure I’m not gonna change how I define this. Period. Don’t be a dairy purist.

2 Likes

Not necessarily. If I go to a restaurant advertising Greek food I certainly don’t expect that the food was made in Greece, and a BMW is still referred to as a German car even if it was made in South Carolina.

Things that are designed in one place but made in another quite often carry the adjective with them.

1 Like

If I see “Greek yoghurt” in a supermarket here in the UK, it will definitely be made in Greece. If not, it will be “Greek style”.

4 Likes

He calls them “curd nerds” but now, maybe “curd herd”?

The only problem I’d have in my household is the cashews in it. One of my family has a severe nut allergy and this would not lead to fun times.

4 Likes

I’m equally as sure vegan “cheese” isn’t cheese. Not even remotely close, in fact =).

Um, yeah. You realize there’s also “Florence” and “Florentine”, et al., right? “Quarante” and “Quarantine” makes perfect sense; the joke works just fine.

2 Likes

Quarantine means “isolated for 40 days.” Shorter isolation periods are elseways.

2 Likes

That’s not even technically correct anymore. Like decimate, quarantine has undergone a semantic shift that has completely divorced it from its numeric value.

5 Likes

Woosh.

1 Like

Thus displaying further inconsistencies of Anglish. Too bad our language, unlike some computer tongues, does not structurally distinguish between ‘real’ and ‘imaginary’ objects. Much confusion ensues.

If velveeta or kraft singles, which are something like 90+% milk products aren’t “cheese” then vegan “cheese” is definitely not cheese either.

2 Likes

Kraft supposedly rates as “real” cheese, although it tastes remarkably like a slice of buttery margarine to me -.-’ . Basically, only 0.5 step above Velveeta, AKA “The Uncheese™”.

And yeah, NOT cheese, if it ain’t got no cow-squeezin’s. Calling your cultured cashew curds “cheese” may be helpful in several ways but it’s not actually true.

Frankly, I strongly prefer the original “Veggieburgers”, over “Impossible Burgers” or what-have-you faux meat (they’re quite good, altho I sometimes “ruin” it with cheese and/or mayo :wink:). I eat meat but enjoy vegetarian foods just fine, and I don’t particularly need, nor want vegan/vegetarian alternatives to taste/look like meat or animal products. And faux cheese is right out. Ew.

3 Likes

my_photo-2
There is an EU regulation that requires the manufacturer code and the state of origin, in the oval.
Of course there is the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuppa_Inglese that is almost unknown in England, and a similar cake is the trifle.

2 Likes

The real mozzarella is the one made with fresh water buffalo milk. https://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/magazine/buffalo-mozzarella-craig-ramini.html

Using powdered milk even if is somewhat allowed, and using citiric acid is useful to make a cheese that totally doesn’t don’t taste like water buffalo mozzarella.

2 Likes

Well, there are some that say it started in Molise, con latte vaccino…

haha. I hadn’t heard of that one :wink: . Well, I heard about the scandal, but not about the term Bungabunga.

similarly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crème_anglaise