Chelsea Manning sentenced to 14 days of solitary confinement in retaliation for suicide attempt

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/23/chelsea-manning-sentenced-to-1.html

1 Like

I thought she was already in solitary. In any case, that’s messed up. Attempted suicide should never be considered an offense; it should be viewed as a cry for help.

16 Likes

“The beatings will continue until morale improves”

21 Likes

It should be seen as a criminal failure of the holding institution, treated with the same weight as if they’d died in custody. Instead the beatings are doubled. Nothing makes sense in this brown stain of a country.

12 Likes

Indeed, why bother “sentencing to solitary” when the people involved seem perfectly willing to arbitrarily put her into solitary?

4 Likes

It’s horrifying that “a week of torture, with probably another week at some later date” is less punishment than I expected.

10 Likes

Yes, but crying for help is punishable by being made unable to cry for help. Make sense?

2 Likes

Well that should help cheer her right up!

3 Likes

Geez, how do you punish a suicide attempt? How is that something you get punished for? Suicide attempts should be met with nothing less than compassion.

8 Likes

This really pisses me off. We noticed you tried to kill yourself. Maybe if we lock you in a hole you’ll change your mind about that…

This shouldn’t be allowed.

3 Likes

I think in this case, @doctorow use of retaliation is right on the money. It’s not about her or keeping her safe and sane, it’s about revenge.

3 Likes

Agreed. She drew (somewhat national) attention to what they were doing to her. This is revenge/retaliation for them looking bad because of how they’ve treated her and continue to treat her.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.