Chess champ Magnus Carlsen puts cheating accusation in writing

Originally published at: Chess champ Magnus Carlsen puts cheating accusation in writing | Boing Boing

7 Likes

“He sunk my battleship !!”

2 Likes

No mention of anal beads, so I see this topic getting minimal engagement.

4 Likes

Probably because it was some BS that a chess sub-reddit was joking about it, that Elon Musk decided to tweet about and publicize as a “real” thing. It was just an in-joke.

6 Likes

matter o’ time until a good enough™ computer is completely implantable (“hell my pacemaker is Turing complete already”)

I was all ready to be paternalistically amused by the goings-on and accusations of cheating in chess until I remembered that I am still VERY MUCH PISSED OFF by Michael Masi bungling the end of the 2021 Formula One season and robbing Lewis Hamilton of his much-deserved eighth World Championship.

3 Likes

Wow, what an a-hole. I suppose now he has at least had the nerve to make public unfounded accusations rather than just being obliquely shitty about an upset loss in a game he himself has said he made mistakes in.
Its always a good look for a person who is very powerful in a very limited arena to make wild, baseless accusations against others.

2 Likes

There is a “base”. Niemann has admitted to past cheating. We don’t have clear proof that he cheated in that particular game, but, this is hardly pure sore losership.

1 Like

Chess Boxing is also a good alternative. Hard to cheat if you’re getting punched in the face

2 Likes

So this is how you play 5-dimensional chess!

Anyway, my understanding is that Niemann admitted to cheating online? Who cares? If you’re playing chess online, do assume your opponent is cheating.

1. Full body cavity searches after which both players are dressed in tournament-supplied jumpsuits.
2 Likes

1 Like

It wasn’t really an upset. Carlsen said he won’t play this guy and won’t play in tournaments that allow this guy. They gave him the guy as an opponent, Carlsen resigned. When threatened for unsporting behavior , he withdrew fully from his remaining games. Niemann has repeatedly been caught cheating and admitted as such.

2 Likes

This is the key. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF CHEATING.

Yes, it was a super unexpected upset. However that happens in every game and sport sometimes. The arguments that Niemann cheated all boil down to “the better player should have won and also Niemann cheated once when he was a kid”. That’s a bullshit framework for a career-ruining accusation. I’m happy to be proven wrong, but until some tangible physical evidence of cheating is produced, this is all bougie chess snob sour grapes and nothing more.

Many experts have analyzed the game and found it likely that Carlsen basically choked and Niemann got a couple of lucky breaks in key moments. Carlsen underestimated him and Niemann got lucky. That’s the story.

2 Likes

Nervous Tea Time GIF by VH1

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.