Chess tournament players burn up to 6,000 calories a day

Originally published at: Chess tournament players burn up to 6,000 calories a day | Boing Boing

6 Likes

“Whoa that guy’s lobes are RIPPED.”

11 Likes

I noticed a few things about that article. First, they spent a lot of time talking about the exercise routines of these chess players. So, they’re not just sitting still all the time, they are in training. They also describe a few players’ diet plans in a way that makes it clear they aren’t just eating regular meals. Finally, none of the players mentioned were women. :woman_shrugging:t4:

14 Likes

I would love to see some heat-sensitive thermal imagery from a tournament, to see how much heat is thrown off their heads.

6 Likes

I can’t find any thermal images but when I googled it I found a bunch of chess players in pools, presumably taking advantage of water-cooling to prevent their overclocked processors from burning out.

22 Likes

Just more propaganda from the “chess is a sport - it is - it is - it really is” lobby. :wink:

5 Likes

Sounds like they need some regular breaks for eating junk food.

1 Like

I think it was on Radiolab a while ago, not related to chess, but about the brain. They said, though the brain represents 3% of our total weight, it’s responsible for up to 25% of calories expended.
I’m no grandmaster, but I can definitely tell I’ve used more energy when I have a really big “thinking” day at work (versus more admin or meetings). I’ll be starving by the end, even though in both cases, I’m mainly sitting at a desk.

6 Likes

giphy (64)

12 Likes

I get my cardio above the waistline, sunshine.

7 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text (3)

4 Likes

My BFF is a chess coach… it is a field that is still dominated by men and shot through with misogyny, unfortunately.

6 Likes

i get my cardio above the NECKline , starshine

( thanks for the cue )

1 Like

My heart is between my waist and my neck.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.