Chesterfield Borough Council pays tribute to Princess Di

Are we sure they worship one of the christian gods there, and not something with tentacles and odd geometries?

She looks like she’s just done a line of coke in the bathroom of the ladies auxilliary…

I’ll bring the cake!

cake

The first time I saw a picture of that statue I legitimately didn’t know if it was supposed to be Lucy or Desi.

Why not both?

Tip: It’s generally considered more respectful to depict the person as they appeared while still alive.

Isn’t “paying tribute” to royalty a sign of submission? As in 30 bejeweled oxen and 5 virgins in return for not having your earldom razed?

I thought it was a sad day, when Lucille Ball got hit in the face with Ronald Reagan and Gary Busey, but I see someone’s gone and commemorated that too.

It’s sad that it might have been because of the plague, but that spire is still accidentally awesome.

ETA: Never mind, actual reason is less morbid. That’s what I get for skimming.

Sounds like the Dunning-Kruger effect, though really it’s just a corollary to something both Socrates and Confucius realized around the same time 2,500 years before anyone ever heard of cognitive bias.

http://www.roangelo.net/logwitt/socratic-ignorance.html

“Confucius said, "To know that we know what we know, and that we do not know what we do not know, that is true knowledge.” ~ from Walden by Henry David Thoreau

It affects would-be poets too, the strange thing being that Julia Ann Moore and William McGonagall had considerable success.

200w_d

Mind the bishop.

Yes it’s a shit picture, but also, tradition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Well_dressing

Fairly common with old churches. Usually have lots of exciting folk tales about why they’re twisted.

They’re coming to get you, Elizabeth!

That’s right; it’s executed in the style of a well-dressing, a pre-christian tradition preserved in Derbyshire. Usually they’re much nicer than this. This example is situated on the old pump that served the market square.

There’s a reason for that tradition.

One more item in the long list of things I can’t unsee. It started with the Goatsee …