Chevy Chase took his Comedy Central roasting very personally: "They clearly didn't like me"

9 Likes

… made popular by “Fargo”.

4 Likes

"He’s in a better place, now.
Many, many places, really… "

7 Likes

The place where Chase is treated as a valued friend is in the book/movie, A Futile and Stupid Gesture. The movie details Doug Kenney’s work, creating and writing Havard- and later National Lampoon and writting both Animal House and Caddyshack. There is a scene where Doug takes Chevy to visit his uppercrust parents, where Doug is explaining he’s not getting a law degree but plans on writing a comedy mag. His dad is especially shitty about it and Chevy invents his clumsy act, knocking over and spilling the elder Kenney’s scotch collection.

5 Likes

Well, it was the SECOND Friar’s Club roast of Chevy Chase. I think his “friends” had already sad their peace.

1 Like

Why Would You Do That Ross Geller GIF

1 Like

Do you mind describing which parts made you feel that? I don’t want to change your opinion, I just didn’t get that vibe in comparison to others and wonder if I missed something or if my general “meh” feelings about Chase led me to ignore that aspect.

1 Like

If you haven’t seen the William Shatner roast, then you may be in for a treat. Hilarious!

All kidding aside: Given his well-known interpersonal history in the industry, the roast maybe should have gone the other way, that is, they could have gone over the top in praising him. Examples (based on actual occurrences): “How could any grossly under-paid pizza delivery-boy not be impressed by and welcome the comedic genius of Chevy’s unleashed madness when he expresses his righteous curse-filled displeasure with the pizza? No delivery-boy could afford that kind of entertainment… and that one guy we heard about got it for free!!” or “Chevy practically invented humor, and is right in taking credit for everything funny in his career. How do we know this? He told us! He even wrote all the jokes for this roast!”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.