Chew toys that last a giant dog multiple rainy days

Jason, my daughter (a GP owner) has been informed by multiple sources that the Kongs have a tendency to trap doggie tongues and cause injury. Have you (or any other Happy Mutant out there) heard of this problem before?

1 Like

This is the first I’ve heard. I did a quick search and found on big news story on it in Aug of 2015. The toy in the photos on that story is also not the model I recommended. I believe the harmful toy is “KONG The Beast” and the warning is against toys with a single hole. The toy recommended is a two-holer.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info.

1 Like

i have frozen raw beef femur in my freezer. they’re sliced lengthwise. when thawed i put two halves at a time on a sheet pan, salt and pepper and roast 15-20 minutes at 350. i split the marrow between spreading on baguette slices to make crostini and using as a condiment with which to top each steak when i take it off the grill to rest. the rendered tallow and marrow fat i mix 50/50 with butter and use to roast fingerling potatoes and cippoline onions.

2 Likes

Yup. My Australian shepherd loves those too, but knocks them out in an afternoon then poops what looks like big chunks of toffee.

I’ve been searching over the last couple of months for a place that has a reasonable price on antlers. My Aussie will really appreciate your suggestion. Thanks

1 Like

My Australian Terrier (who now sleeps under his favourite bush) loved the Kongs. He’d kill a red one inside five minutes. The black ones, which were apparently indestructible took him the best part of ten.

I don’t have a giant dog. I have a border collie. Cheap, crappy, poorly made stuffed animals not actually made for pets last him for years. The extra tough dog toys designed to withstand chewing, biting, and tearing? He destroys those in minutes. I have no idea why. He’s really smart, though, so maybe he thinks the tough toys are to challenge him?

3 Likes

Have you ever tried dropping a little kibble into a disposable water bottle and screwing the lid back on? My lab loved that.

It’s really noisy though, but that’s most of the point. My guy just liked to crunch it.

Haven’t done it with the kibble in it but, holy cow, the water bottle he’s chewing on now is the noisiest thing on the planet.

2 Likes

The crunching is a great mouthfeel for the dog. Simulates munching rabbits and stuff.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.