Chicago Bears 2019 uniform to honor the Lollipop Guild

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/12/chicago-bears-2019-uniform-to.html

6 Likes

Fun fact: The lyrics to the song in Wizard of Oz are actually “We represent the Lollipop Guild!”

20 Likes

:notes:…Aaaaaand we’d like to wel-come you…to…the…line…of…scrimmage! :notes:

14 Likes

Technically these are not their 2019 season unis. This is the throwback (classic) uni. They only wear them for a select couple of games as alternates. Much like teams have a Thursday night “color rush” version of their unis.

Most throwbacks are rather silly looking. Mainly these unis are from a pre-tv era, so the idea of “do these look good on TV or not” wasn’t a question.

8 Likes

It’s nice to see Tim Burton designing stuff agin.

21 Likes

Yes, but now we do have TVs, so the question is there. Plus, I would have thought the abject lesson taught by the Pittsburgh Steelers would have been enough. Apparently not.

2 Likes

So it s a players Union thing.

7 Likes

ok. I would think I wouldn’t have to explain this but…you do know that jersey sales account for a massive amount of revenue for teams…right?

4 Likes

I’m wearing my Washington Gun-Takers jersey right now!

5 Likes

Its still not as good as the tribute they got in 1981 with Chevy Chase and Carrie Fischer

2 Likes

Case in point:

8 Likes

Ok, now I really want to see someone do a comprehensive visual comparison of uniform designs (1) pre-TV, (2) black&white TV, and (3) color TV. Because I bet the era of black and white TV sometimes really needed the uniforms to be “solids versus stripes” for visual distinguishability!

7 Likes

Everybody looks fat!

I like it, it makes me feel a little better about myself.

2 Likes

The Steelers one is considered to be the most egregious (as @NashRambler was pointing to above).

Still this will not stop teams from doing this as the sales from alternate jerseys are just worth it to them overall.

4 Likes

I’d be more impressed if these pre-TV outfits used the pre-TV shoes.

3 Likes

Oh no no, I fully understand the “cash grab” aspect of a new official uniform. I have these (now obviously vain) hopes that someone, somewhere would say “I know we’ll make some money guys, but this might turn out to do more harm than good. At the end of the day, we don’t have to look good on TV, but we might not want to look this bad?”

3 Likes

Those uniforms are totally fine, just so long as your team is named the Bumblebees.

5 Likes

Killer-Bees

11 Likes

6 Likes

I actually rather like that kit; and this is from someone who wears only black.

2 Likes