Chicago cops switched off bodycams and high-fived after shooting unarmed black teen

The cops already took care of that, and saved the taxpayer a bundle in court and prison costs

/s

Fuck these guys and the crooked racist system they rode in on!

“The video evidence shows no inappropriate behavior by the officers involved.”

It’s down to the way defamation works in the U.S. Normal defamation suits usually require you to show some harm was caused to you. Accusing someone of a crime they didn’t commit (or are later acquitted of) in the media falls under ‘per se’ defamation: you don’t have to prove that harm was done, just that they acted without regard to the truth. ‘Allegedly’ is a CYA.

They do protest. File complaints to every level. It does nothing.
What the people there need to do is organize, and make change, by force if necessary.

Because the alternative is watching more and more people get shot/robbed/pushed out further towards the periphery of society by the very forces empowered to protect them.

2 Likes

Yeah, not so much:

18 U.S. Code § 1385 - Use of Army and Air Force as posse comitatus

Other than that, I don’t have a problem with the other parts of your plan.

A 64 GB memory card recording at HD standard quality can hold 960 minutes worth of video. Google shows prices between $17 and $30 for such a card; I’m sure law enforcement agencies could negotiate a volume discount. Hell, a 128 GB card can be had for $15-$60 and that would record around 32 hours of video.

Record EVERYTHING the officer sees on a memory card that’s locked into the device (along with the batteries for the camera) with keys that are kept at the station. Don’t give them the option of turning it off. Upload it to a secure server at the end of each shift. If the footage needed for evidence includes the officer taking a bathroom break, have a physician who works with the police excise or redact just the bio break footage from the footage provided as evidence (and swear a statement that the only footage they removed or edited was the bio break.)

3 Likes

What a shame that these officers are.

Interesting that you propose replacing the Democratic controlled armed force with a Republican controlled one.

I agree completely but it is a start. Videos of police brutality have been a thing for longer than camera phones and body cameras but they were easier to ignore when you had to go looking for them. Now we get them in almost real time (or even actual real time if Facebook doesn’t shut down the stream).

No more hiding our collective heads in the sand. No more excuses for folks to ignore what we’ve been letting happen all along

1 Like

Oh, I know they protest. I am simply encouraging them (and anybody else, for that matter) to continue to raise the issues that need to be raised. And I wouldn’t say it hasn’t done any good. The video we see here came to the public eye within days of the incident. The previous video out of Chicago that was controversial went unseen for more than a year. It may not seem like much, but that is something.

2 Likes

Maybe they were trying to protect the cameras from high-five damage, because those police body cams keep, you know, “malfunctioning.”

The police violate the law when they take your life for looking the wrong way. Why are you concerned about the law now? This is a lawless country.

Because anarchy works so well in a country of 350+ million people? I’m with you on the NG coming in as a bandaid, and I definitely agree this problem is widespread and needs priority–a report on my own city’s PD reads like a horror story.

My opinion is that if we can’t fix this issue with the law (among other things, to be sure–civil disobedience, protesting, education, policy, etc.), then we’re doomed to see what “lawless” really looks like.

The milliray can apprehend rouge government agencies through authorization by the National Guard. Enough said.

We have an adversarial judicial system. EVERYONE lies because the penalties thrown at anyone are meant to coerce a plea deal. The truth is negotiated, and one better not start from a position of weakness.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.