Chick-fil-A manager's list of forbidden words

It would not have to be a legal requirement for it to be part of the employee’s compensation. It would only take something like this to be in the employee handbook.

[quote]
If you are scheduled to be on the clock for more than four hours, you are entitled to one free meal (to be chosen from any one of our numbered combo meals). The meal is free, but if you choose it, the retail value of the meal will be added to your paycheck for tax purposes.[/quote]

2 Likes

Story time, gather round the campfire.

Similar to this list, when I was a wee lad there was a poster that had lists of perjoratives and Bad Words. Since me and my other classmates hadn’t ever heard 90% of these words, like the studious tots we were they had to be investigated.

Thus commenced the great learning and utter bemusement of English colloquialisms.

6 Likes

I had to be taught what “salty” and “ratchet” mean by my nephew, but ‘on fleek’ is still a mystery. If you find out what it means, let me know.

1 Like

Urban Dictionary says:

on fleek

1. adj. hella; on point

…which suddenly becomes a rabbit warren of other inexplicable terms. So, helpfully, there is a second meaning which I think is the same as the first (UD authors aren’t known for their adherence to lexicographic norms)

2 adj. very good

2 Likes

Here’s some info on the apparently short history of the term. Warning: the link contains references to Kim Kardashian.

Also, get off his lawn

6 Likes

I worked for a company that had a game on AOL. Part of AOL’s staff training was a secret list of words nobody is allowed to use. We learned a lot of interesting and unique words that way.

("…through a straw?" “Yes.” “Why is there a word for that? In the history of AOL, has anyone ever actually said that?”)

1 Like

Oh holy FSM I know what you are talking about, and I am not proud. I think I need a ForgetMeNow.

1 Like

Why are the numbers 0 and 100 unacceptable?

4 Likes

The OP linked article sources many of the phrases for you!

How much of my confusion at that list is age-related (I’m 27) and how much is cultural/regional/racial?

I don’t envy this man’s job.

3 Likes

I’m surprised semprini is not on the list.

5 Likes

Right, but could someone post a TL;DR so I don’t have to sit through some crappy video?

I enjoyed getting caught up on some new phrases!

This is a clear example of Theory X/Theory Y management and most likely a response of employees talking/teasing too much. But just imagine theses kids working a (likely) minimum wage job and just trying to have fun while doing so. To me, managers are most effective when they can instill effective attitudes/actions rather than creating endless lists of “Don’t Do What Donny Don’t Does.” Poor Eric needs to figure out a better way to get his crew to go 0 to 100.

8 Likes
10 Likes

I am fascinated by the distinction between chilled and salty. They served chilled goods (e.g. lemonade) so they make an exception for the term, yet salty isn’t acceptable.

“The customer claims this food has too much salt.”

1 Like

Yeah, but . . .

I’ve frequented many a family diner or greasy spoon where familiarity was important and even screaming back to the kitchen (with the kitchen screaming back) was commonplace. But that’s the way the owners choose to run their business, and the clientele expected such behavior as part of the experience.

There’s a big difference between that and the common folk off the street walking into a fast food place. If these employees are being “non-professional” in any way, it’s detrimental to the business. I remember many years ago walking into a Taco Bell in Dayton, where the older female manager was screaming and swearing at the younger employees, and they were screaming and swearing right back. Fast food or not, I didn’t want to deal with it, so I left. I do expect friendly service at someplace like Chick-fil-A, but I’m not really crazy about dealing with poor communication skills, careless attitudes, or jargon that I don’t recognize. A manager who demands the same isn’t old and cranky; he’s doing his job as a representative of the parent company.

4 Likes

Dude… Chill…

Meh. I guess I’m old. I don’t have a problem with it. Their business, their rules. Put on your big boy/girl pants and speak in a polite, courteous, professional manner. I thought that should be common knowledge, but I guess not.

Then again when I was last job hunting I had more than one person comment on my suit and they appreciated me dressing up for an interview. I was like, “People don’t do that any more?”

“You’d be surprised.”

2 Likes