Chief meteorologists fired after incorrect forecast results in unnecessary fireworks cancellation

Originally published at: Chief meteorologists fired after incorrect forecast results in unnecessary fireworks cancellation | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Wow, this takes me back to the forecasted Snowmageddon in Philly that never happened. The meteorologist involved, John Bolaris, had that incident follow him for years!

9 Likes

No matter how experienced you are as a meteorologist, you’re still going to be wrong about 1/5 of the time.

6 Likes

Given Hungary’s political challenges against an authoritarian I wonder if this forecast was a form of resistance.

3 Likes

Of course, if they had been right they would have been burned for witchcraft. You really can’t win.

1 Like

Hmm - should they cancel or ban?

(I’ll wait while you see what I did there.)

1 Like

I remember that. Same storm was predicted to hit Baltimore with snow all day, and we woke up to sunny skies. It was a massive miss on a weather call.

3 Likes

The fireworks show promoters should have made this disclaimer…

2 Likes

Could have been worse. He could have told people there was no storm, then 18 people died.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.