Child, 3, shot dad in the butt with family gun

Amen. If only there was a way to make sure the victim was the gun owner and not the toddler…

I’m not one to take joy in the suffering of others, but if it took getting painfully shot in a relatively non-life-threatening area to get this gentleman to understand how to keep firearms away from toddlers, then I guess it was worth it?

“Family Gun”

That’s a fucked up idea.

1 Like
4 Likes

I totally didn’t realize Keanu was in that movie.

2 Likes

I had completely forgotten about that! I guess my pre–conscious only swipes from the best.

1 Like

If there had only been more guns in the house, then that Good Guy could have defended himself from that Bad Toddler With A Gun.
/sarcasm.

Was the child injured? I don’t know much about guns, but movies and TVs have taught me that (1) guns recoils when you shoot them, and (2) gunshots can be loud.

It’s one thing when an irresponsible parent gets a scar on his ass. It’s another when a child suffers irreparable hearing damage.

Yeah, the fact that articles like this don’t end with “And the dad has now been charged with XXXXXX” is… let’s say the third most disturbing part of the story, after “Parents don’t care enough about their life, their child’s life, or traumatizing their child to secure guns,” and “We still haven’t done anything to improve gun laws in the US.”

2 Likes

To answer your question: Hearing damage is generally cumulative. A single gunshot indoors is not pleasant, but it shouldn’t result any any noticeable damage. I am sure the loud noise and recoil scared him.

At three years old it is difficult to say if it will scar him or not. One of my earliest memories I have is falling off of a horse and I was 3 or 4 at the time (I said I could get down by myself - and I did.) Hopefully he doesn’t remember it.

And per the other comments, yes the parent(s) should at the least have a child endangerment charge.

This should be mandatory: If toddler finds dad’s gun, toddler gets to shoot dad in the butt.

4 Likes

The article says the father was 26 – how old is he now? Or is he dead?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.