China uses sewage surveillance to detect drugs in urine and feces

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/17/wastewater-based-epidemiology.html

1 Like

They will inevitably have the ability (if indeed they don’t already) to send DNA-seeking drones upstream from the sewage center toward the toilet from which a target is transmitting (which is to say, shitting).

4 Likes

Drug abuse is a community health issue. I’d be for this if they were getting people off drugs before they go too far down the road of addiction. But knowing China they’re putting addicts in forced labor camps or some other evil.

6 Likes

Sounds like they finally found a use for the Smart Pipe.

2 Likes

Pharmaceuticals entering the ecosystem through the sewers is a poorly understood form of pollution.

4 Likes

Plenty of US municipalities perform similar monitoring; but I was surprised that Special K is a large target, seems more a raver niche drug than a target of mass abuse. Maybe it is cheaper there?

4 Likes

Note to authorities: when I flush, my pee doesn’t go in its own separate container. There’s probably no need for probable cause in China, but aren’t you worried at all about prosecuting the wrong person?

No, you can’t use my bathroom…

4 Likes

Depending on where it how it is done this would probably more valid than other measures of population drug use. I’ve seen studies from the west that do this.

1 Like

This seems to be about monitoring population drug use, not individual drug use. (At least, that is what the article is about.)

1 Like

OK. I’ll just be quietly standing at the side of your house for a few minutes. Just ignore me.

1 Like

Peeculiar home invasions on the rise!

1 Like

But this is still more efficient

1 Like

3 Likes

What do you think this is, San Francisco???

2 Likes

Maybe ketamine use by humans fell. But maybe their horses are just really high-strung now.

3 Likes

Several EU states use assays of sewage in epidemiological studies to evaluate levels of drug use, but China is unique in linking this data to drug enforcement efforts, rather than public health data-collection.

Silly me, I thought Cory was representing reality.

1 Like

For being very afraid of the toilet spies is the reason for the leader of North Korea only traveling with his own toilet.

2 Likes

I found this article on how the antidepressants that are sometimes found in rivers in the United States can change the behavior of fishes.

Some studies suggest that contraceptives may be creating transgenic fishes.

4 Likes

China’s not unique in using this data for enforcement:
“Treasurer Scott Morrison earlier confirmed sewage will be tested to find areas of high drug use, which will then be selected as trial sites for testing new welfare recipients.”

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/sewage-data-to-form-part-of-welfare-drug-testing-policy

3 Likes