Chonker cat gets a belly rub

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/06/chonker-cat-gets-a-belly-rub.html

11 Likes

He heckin’ chonker!

5 Likes

I rub the belly, I gets the bite

11 Likes

Those are some intense eyes, in a cute way.

That said, am I alone in thinking that ‘chonker cat’ sounds like slang for some sort of factory role from the early to middle days of the industrial revolution?

Say, someone who wanders the floor and keeps an eye on the accumulation of cardings to reallocate slubbers and pieceners to different parts of the plant as production rates demand?

(edit: ‘slubbers’ and ‘pieceners’ I’m not making up; those are courtesy of Andrew Ure’s fascinating treatise on manufacturing and its numerous benefits for child laborers(not making those up either; is genuinely fascinating, is genuinely very much one of those things that gets ‘product of its time’ stamped on it); also contains the glorious phrase “the culpable irregularities of the adult slubber”. Hence my suspicion that a solid chonker cat could have been a salubrious regulating influence.)

13 Likes

Those are the eyes of a very simulatedstimulated cat. I know my cats always do that right before they do something crazy.

10 Likes

I hate that this cat does not look that large to me. Then again I’ve got a 20lber.

1 Like

I suspect that if you put that in the classifieds as a job title/duties, you’d get some callbacks: "Yep! Best chonker in the business. Co’min up on… oh… fifteen yar, or so, now."

1 Like

Just in case folks need a chart:

19 Likes

Interesting. My simulated cats always do that right before the OS crashes.

7 Likes

I’d hope to hear from such experienced candidates. One obviously has to start somewhere, so it’s right and proper for the chonker’s boys to be mere striplings learning the trade, and the chonker’s mate to be of dependable character though still limited experience.

To be the chonker cat, though, the smooth operation of my manufactury’s entire carding hall depends on the skillful chonker cat; and not just anyone is up to to that sort of responsibility.

6 Likes

Sweet Sweet Little Inky will roll over in the cutest, friendliest manner and present the belly to be rubbed… but IT’S A TRICK!!!

5 Likes

both our cats loved belly rubs. One would like down and roll over. The other only likes them standing up.

2 Likes

One of our cats like belly rubs, the other doesn’t. The cat that doesn’t like belly rubs likes getting brushed, and the other doesn’t. Kind of curious if that’s related.

2 Likes

Few are. And even fewer are floofy. Floofiness is generally seen as being a bonus.

2 Likes

Thats how our standing-rub one is - I think she feel vulnerable when lying down and can’t have you grabbing towards her belly. But LOVEs it when she is standing and we reach down and rub her belly. Try it - you may discover they like it.

3 Likes

Or loose a finger! If the eyes look like the cute kitty in the post, disengage!

2 Likes

Not sure. The eyes say to me “He rubbing. He still rubbing. But what if he stops. What then. WHAT THEN?”.

Hilarity usually ensues. Then something antiseptic for the scratches.

2 Likes

I’ve a huge black female cat that likes belly rubs. Of course, I first announce, “belly rub, belly rub!!” before proceeding as she is the reason I buy bandaids. Problem with the belly rub is that you can be simultaneously attacked from 5 directions should it go wrong.

5 Likes

I usually get two warnings. The first is eyes like the ones in the image. The second is “twitchy tail.” When just the end of her tail twitches vs. the whole thing swaying, if I don’t stop what I’m doing a bite comes next.

2 Likes

I have one cat who has never known a single day of hardship and another that was a rescue from a shelter. We know nothing about the rescue, but that she was a street cat about a year old and was neither desexed or mirco-chipped. We’ve had her for about 2 years now. When I first brought her home, she was very affectionate and snuggly but would flinch and bite if her back legs or tummy were touched. Now, she rolls over and demands belly rubs and doesn’t flinch when her legs are touched.

(They also warned me that she was a runner and would bolt for open doors to escape outside. Took her months to even step paw out the back door and then she would freak out if the door was closed behind her.)

3 Likes