CHP patrolman videoed beating homeless black woman by roadside

My favorite comment so far: “Note that Mr Diaz didn’t take to video to CHP headquarters and file a complain. Mr Diaz has a beef against all Police and paints all police officers as bad cops.”

Considering all the videos of cops attacking people who record them and reports of videos being deleted, I’d post it to YouTube and several other places first. Media coverage seems to go a lot farther than turning video over to the police of their own wrong-doing. It’s called public accountability.

5 Likes

If you read many of their comments, you’ll see that a lot of them have a really bad persecution complex.

The only issue with your counterexample is that it took several hundred years, and still isn’t complete. And there has been a hell of a lot of violence.

That’s not true, and is actually a caricature repeated by conservative media in the 60’s and 70’s. The goal of the Black Panther Party was not racial segregation, it was self-determination. That is, that black people as a group should have control of their own social, political, and economic institutions, rather than be subject to white-controlled institutions where black people have no voice or influence.

Not to say there weren’t some segregationists mixed in somewhere, but as a movement they did not claim that peace between races was impossible, nor did they claim that black and white people should have nothing to do with each other. The Panthers did say that self-determination was a pre-requisite to true racial peace and integration, though, which was seen as outrageous by white people because it didn’t place peace and integration with whites as the highest and sole objective.

Malcolm X abandoned the Nation of Islam for a lot of very good reasons, but never abandoned the principle of armed self-defense. Your implication that he “saw the error of his ways” and embraced pacifism is not true.

Stated another way “you may attract people who are deeply and personally troubled by the problem, but you will repel those who care primarily about maintaining the status quo”. Movements don’t succeed when “moderates” are swayed to sympathy, they succeed when it’s impossible to be a moderate anymore, because the conflict has reached a point where everyone has to take sides. Even MLK agrees on this point. If you don’t threaten to break the social peace, moderates will pretty much always be content to ignore you, regardless of how noble and principled your demonstrations are.

The so-called “moderates” respond favorably to stoicism, because it positions them as the ones with agency. They get to choose whether to pay attention to someone else’s suffering, or not. They can decide that something must be done, or they can just as easily get bored and move on to the next click-bait post, because nothing will happen to them either way. So obviously they “favor” that. It’s stress-free and they get to be the protagonist of the story. The problem is that they have failed in their responsibility to seriously address the injustices that are politely brought to their attention.

So why are we still so fixated on making these moderates comfortable? It’s time to stop pretending that we just need to try one more time - that this time all those soccer moms will be truly moved to action and society will turn itself around.

Oscar Grant died without striking back. He took your “hard way”, and what effect did it have? So did Amadou Diallo - you remember him? Not many people do. I guess the effect was so unimaginably great that people can’t even think about it. How about Tobias Mackey? Kathryn Johnston? There are literally hundreds of other names, just from the past few years. It pains me to say it, but these deaths did not have great effect. They are forgotten, some barely even noticed in the first place. If dying without a fight brought justice, it would have arrived a long time ago.

There is no longer a partition between civilian and combatant, between war and peace. We live in a society that is simultaneously at peace with and at war with its subjects. You see our current social state as “peace”, and worry that a militant posture will move us into “war”. But war is already here, it’s just not evenly distributed. Perhaps you don’t see it because it doesn’t affect you directly - that’s part of the problem. War is not a binary thing, nor is the use of force. Sometimes it’s warranted, sometimes not. Sometimes in small amounts, sometimes more. Proscribing it entirely is not strategic, nor is it particularly more moral than any other approach.

2 Likes

Didn’t you folks already do that? Only arskin’, like.

How about the three Laws of Robotics? Looks like their brains may need replacing with positronic ones anyway.

The CSM article attached to this story opens with this phrase, “The videotaped beating of a homeless and barefoot African-American woman by one California Highway Patrol officer is reopening the race-relations dialogue” (my bold) There’s a slight problem with saying that — in the video directly above the words, you can clearly see the woman’s feet, and they’re in shoes.

Yes, we should absolutely be angry about the behavior of this officer, and yes he should not just be fired, but also there should be legal repercussions for his actions. That said, no one is going to better served by bloating this story. It is already bad enough.

I’m only making this point because the words aren’t there for description, they’re not even true. They have only one job - to make you angry. Anyone being brutally beaten by a police officer should be plenty to do that. It shouldn’t matter if they’re wearing shoes.

Well, shit, I agree with everything you said. This really hurts my earlier thesis that you’re just a troll.

2 Likes

Ol’ Glitch isn’t always wrong, and he’s sometimes funny. Likes an argument tho, like I said.

nobody here is -just- a troll. :wink:

1 Like

If there is no accountability, then organize and create some.

I’ll leave that to the Americans. Our cops are pretty bad, but they don’t easily get away with the kinds of abuses that seem commonplace in the States.

Cool, then you can run your country. Which one is that?

Way to get unnecessarily defensive. Are you trying to tell me that crazy stuff like this doesn’t seem to happen disproportionately in the US?

It’s Australia.

“Way to get unnecessarily defensive”

oh nevermind.

[quote=“teapot, post:54, topic:36818”]
It’s Australia.[/quote]
Hmm, well, the Banana Bending police have a shockingly bad reputation regarding their treatment of Aboriginals.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.