Chris Christie says losing 3,000 humans lives every day to Covid-19 is a fair price to protect the economy

Poor example. The disease already is running rampant here. Plus, Sub-Sahara Africa doesn’t have nearly the same level of air traffic/commerce than Europe and the Far East.

1 Like

Does Chris Christie remember 9/11?

I’m not even American and I do.

4 Likes

Really killing it with the whole “Party of Life” thing, aren’t they?

14 Likes

Still “Pro-LIfe,” Mr. Christie?

9 Likes

He detained people when the medical community said there was no threat from these medical workers under the guise of safety. But when we have a disease that can kill thousands a day, that’s not a problem.

5 Likes

Honestly, we will see about all of this.

Worst case scenario is we just have to learn to live with the damned thing because we have no vaccine and immunity does not last that long. There are plenty of better scenarios, though, where through some combination of an even partially effective vaccine and more effective treatment we get it at least mostly under control.

But no, I do not see it happening for at least a couple of years.

Clarification: even with a vaccine, it is unlikely we will wipe out the virus. It is here to stay. It will, at some point, be more like influenza: very dangerous for risk groups, and a fucking nuisance for the rest of us.
(There are other human corona virus strains around. We already live with those.)

4 Likes

Chris Christie in 2020: All live matter but some live matter more than other."

15 Likes

Crisp Christie.

I feel like the only people screaming to “save the economy at any cost” are the ones who were being mighty well served by that economy, and any stray fools they can drag into the chant.

Here’s my favorite chant, “Fuck the economy! Save people!”

The best way to start is to remove any fuck shouting, “Save the economy,” from any position of power. It’s a shame that isn’t happening earlier than November, and even more of a shame that too many of the bastards will still be there after November.

But, with the virus mutating and becoming more virulent, perhaps a good number of them will shuffle off along with a whole bunch of the common folk. If I end up going, I hope some of them are waiting so I can spend eternity punching them in the crotch.

7 Likes

Far easier to detain a rather small number of people coming in from countries which require visas from those traveling to and from there. Especially since they did not do so with commercial airliners for the most part.

Compare that to the thousands of people per day coming to and from Europe and the Far East and an entire travel infrastructure designed around facilitating their movement. You are trying to find equivalence between a gnat to a herd of elephants.

Ebola is a far deadlier disease but it also is far less communicable than Covid-19, had fewer incidence of asymptomatic carriers, and was geographically limited in where it struck due to the lack of international travel going through Central Africa.

Mine is “Save people = save the economy.”
Plus “The workers control the means of production!”

14 Likes

FUCK YOU Christie. Just FU.

Your family first.

9 Likes

To sum up:

The same people who happily tie themselves to the view that abortion “kills 1,000,000 lives a year” are happy to throw actual living human beings under the bus wheels to the tune of 1,000,000 a year for the sake of their stock portfolios.

May I direct you to my Etsy storefront? We have some lovely artisanal guillotines for sale.

11 Likes

The people making this economical argument are trying to claim some sort of philosophically utilitarian moral high ground. The thing is, their argument is still wrong even on that basis. Go listen to the recent episode of Planet Money titled Lives vs. The Economy. The TL;DL is that the lost economic growth from the middling estimates of the dead are somewhere around 30 trillion dollars. So spending even 25 trillion to prevent that is still worth it, whether that cost is spent in handouts or by keeping the economy closed. The amount of economic growth created by one person is immense, even by conservative estimates.

14 Likes

Christie, what an asshole.
There, fixed for you. =D

7 Likes

this is a perfect exame of why it’s a bad idea to feed the bears. (Absentee Landlords, Hedge Fund Managers,The One Percent)

They get used to receiving their cut through good times and bad. When times are bad for the little people, its still good for the ones at the top. Just maybe not as good as before. The point being, economic pain becomes a necessary and expected feedback loop for those below a certain income. Above that level, it’s all just relative levels of economic pleasure that’s supposed to inform the decisionmaking of those people who control the vast majority of the wod’s wealth.

Its a similar effect to what Leprosy does to those who have it. (It does not rot the flesh at all, it just disables pain nerve pathways, so its hard to tell when repetitve injury is damaging the body)

No amount of logic is going to suddenly undo what decades and centuries of conditioning have done for these sociopaths. They are simply incapable of reacting appropriately to the new conditions. “Boiling frog” doesnt even come near how bad it is.

I see two options. Try to teach this pig to sing in a hurry, or take the microphone out of their hooves and try to find a better qualified vocalist. You can probably guess my preference.

1 Like

well, the trump administration could have - you know - taken the virus seriously and we could have been coming out of this now like germany or south korea, or even italy. slowly but with things under control.

instead, his actions ( and the actions of gop governors ) is letting this spread, making it harder and harder to stop.

if we ( and they ) pretend we can “live with it”, that actually means at least a million of us can’t… because we’ll be dead.

it’s not too late to ramp up testing, contact tracing, and medical supplies and to reenforce stay at home orders. if we want to mitigate the worst of it.

that would though require admitting mistakes, taking responsibility, reigning in the neo nazis, and enacting some long term social safety net programs.

and we can’t have that… god forbid. the wealth of white right wingers trumps the lives of the rest of us every time.

10 Likes

Serious request: Can someone explain to me why Christie’s opinion matters? Other than fodder to fill airtime, of what importance is he?

12 Likes

I’d give a princely sum to have a literal puppet running the show instead of just the figurative kind we’re currently burdened with.

1 Like

You think the death of human beings is a fair price to pay for the economy, Governor Christie? Then lead the way, you rotten son of a bitch.

2 Likes