Chris Hayes on the attempted resumption of normalcy in the face of what happened yesterday

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/07/chris-hayes-on-the-attempted-resumption-of-normalcy-in-the-face-of-what-happened-yesterday.html

9 Likes

Agreeeeee, so hard. This cannot continue.

18 Likes

Lawfully? Unlawfully?

Whatever the F it takes.

1 Like

I was in junior high when Reagan took office, and I remember feeling like the US was already in “decline” (of course, as a white male youth I was privileged enough to not feel worrisome), but always thought this hair-on-fire moment was going to be the stuff of movies.

I feel that the same way Trump’s rhetoric opened the floodgates for expressions of bigotry and racism, this has done the same for respect for democracy. We’re in for a lot of work to rebuild confidence in our system of governance, and confidence that we should be working for the benefit of all citizens.

16 Likes

I don’t have a lot of faith that he will be removed from office before Jan 20th.

Apparently 45% of Republicans thought what happened yesterday was “okay.”

17 Likes

11 Likes

He apparently received an ovation after calling into an RNC meeting today.

Oh, and he gave medals of freedom to golfers today.

Whistling into the sunset…

18 Likes

Hopefully on a rowboat from the west coast with an attempt to make it to Asia and one weeks worth of provisions onboard.

5 Likes

This captured what’s been troubling many of us since last night. Glad he brought up that history in Wilmington, NC, because too many people don’t think it could happen again.

20 Likes

7 Likes

Amazing what the uncontrolled spread of insane conspiracy theories and misinformation has wrought. A huge segment of the American population now lives in a twisted parallel reality, delusional, violent and impossible to reason with. They’re not coming back, ever. If this didn’t wake them up, nothing will. Their moronic struggle will continue as long as they live, to the detriment of all humanity.

19 Likes

Well I guess the good news is that Bill Barr, Mick Mulvaney et al can appear on all the news shows as “a voice of reason” because they quit whilst knowing full well that this was all going to happen and enabling most of it.

12 Likes

As an outsider, I’m struggling to understand how this is the step too far.

Is this really the most egregious thing that’s happened over the last five years?

It’s not my intention to make light of what happened, but for me, yesterday was just another day in trumpland.

2 Likes

I would say that it was very controlled. Almost as if planned.

14 Likes

For fucks sake, they had merch.

20 Likes

This was billed beforehand as a ‘Million Militia March’ and a ‘Million MAGA March’ yet on TV it looked like only a few hundred showed up.

2 Likes

Lawmakers could look past the stream of lies, children in cages, the sabotage of the pandemic and so on.
Lawmakers could not look past trumps brown shirts threatening the safety of the lawmakers themselves. Their personal safety was the line too far. :man_shrugging:

21 Likes

That pic of the guy with a hand full of zip ties should have scared the sh out of everyone there.

19 Likes

on the river Styx.

4 Likes

Gods, this is absolutely true. I saw some quote from a Democratic congressman (whose name escapes me) about “moving past” this. Which is totally insane. You can’t “move past” something WHILE IT’S STILL HAPPENING! This isn’t over. It won’t even be over when Trump leaves office, although we won’t still have a madman with his finger on the nuclear button.

The Republicans who signed onto this have shown a complete - and highly dangerous - disregard for democracy. This is now their strategy - to deny the results of any election that doesn’t go their way. You can’t have a functional democracy when one of two parties act that way. You just can’t.

The individuals who assaulted the capitol building have been both emboldened and empowered by the lack of consequences. They’ll do more - and worse - in the future. Either this is the start of an ongoing, large fascist terrorist movement, or you squash it, now.

There’s worry about “fanning the flames” by reacting to this - which is a real risk, but the alternative is so much worse, that by doing nothing in response we normalize this. The country can’t survive that.

22 Likes