Christian influencer couple asks for prayers from global church to resurrect young daughter who died

We believe in a Jesus who died and conclusively defeated every grave

What a weird way of saying this… Plus, Jesus only resurrected a few people and he wasn’t exactly advertising it.

Nah, Jesus resurrected Lazarus in the bible, and a bunch of saints “did it” too… Not sure how orthodox these cases are, but there’s a ton of em. Also, in one of the gospels, a bunch of the dead rose at the same time as Jesus. But I do think there’s a difference in the way that it happened with Jesus, since he ascended after a few days… Needless to say, it’s a bunch of bronze-age nonsense!

7 Likes

Wikipedia lists resurrection miracles by Jesus, the Apostles and later Saints.

Saint Peter raised a woman named Dorcas (also called Tabitha), and Paul the Apostle revived a man named Eutychus

St Columba supposedly raised a boy from the dead in the land of Picts

Not saying that this particular resurrection will be successful. I am sad for the parents. However I also wonder what $100,000 is supposed to be for. Bribing Charon the ferryman to bring the kid back across the river Styx? Its only two coins in to Hades but $100,000 cash folding money for the return trip ticket?

6 Likes

It’s ok. They’ll get “OLIVE” on the vanity plates.

4 Likes

The organizer of the gofundme campaign is listed as “Bethdel Music,” and says that the money will be used to provide the family with financial support rather than financing the resurrection itself.

It is not clear to me whether that organizer is actually part of the family, who publicly asked for prayers but made no mention of money on their Instagram page.

This family is going through one of the worst times imaginable right now, so I hope we are not unjustly misconstruing their actions by framing their plight this way.

ETA: As @hecep points out below the mother is a member of the Bethdel Music artist collective/record label that posted the Gofundme page. In my opinion, it seems most likely that other members of that organization were the ones who organized the fundraiser rather than the family doing so themselves.

18 Likes

thank you for the replies @tgarretteaton @RickMycroft and @Brainspore

Catholic CCD bullshit classes were a long ass time ago.

2 Likes

Apparently Jesus has the power of resurrection, whether for himself or someone else like Lazarus, but that was when Jesus was (allegedly) on Earth and at the grave. Thanks to ICE and border patrol, Jesus can’t make it into the country.

But the greater question of twisted conservative Christian logic is: why are they questioning the mysterious ways in which god works in order to bring an innocent child back so she can be corrupted by the world and risk eternal damnation instead of chilling with cloud daddy in paradise where they no doubt believe they will see her again? I guess the $100k will make them feel better when the resurrection fails…

5 Likes

The family’s health insurance plan must have a high deductible. Normally, Dr. Frankenstein only charges $30,000 for a resurrection.

4 Likes

OK - just to clarify a few things…

Just going off of the fundraising link in the article:

1. The Heiligenthal’s are asking for prayers and praying for resurrection.

2. Someone else apparently set up the fundraiser for them.

3. The fund raiser isn’t for the RESURRECTION, but for:

Along with the overwhelming shock and devastation of losing their daughter are the unforeseeable expenses the Heiligenthal family will incur, medical and otherwise.

We have set up a gofundme in an effort to support the Heiligenthals. Please join us with your prayer, your solidarity, and your financial support.

So other than the uncommon initial prayer for a miracle resurrection, this isn’t really much different than any other fundraiser to help defray funeral and medical expenses.

10 Likes

Acts 20:9 is surely one of the most relatable Bible stories. If I ever find myself in a position where I’m obliged to wave a citation around on a sign, that’s what I’m going with.

Seated in a window was a young man named Eutychus, who was sinking into a deep sleep as Paul talked on and on. When he was sound asleep, he fell to the ground from the third story and was picked up dead. Paul went down, threw himself on the young man and put his arms around him. “Don’t be alarmed,” he said. “He’s alive!” Then he went upstairs again and broke bread and ate. After talking until daylight, he left. The people took the young man home alive and were greatly comforted.

2 Likes

Perhaps he’s out of network?

2 Likes

Bored to death?

2 Likes

The prayer for a miracle resurrection seems cruel to the parents, but I hope that’s what it’s all about.

Well the parents may be praying for it… but yeah, highly unlikely.

Look, people who lose kids are usually devastated. Philip K Dick was a twin and his twin Jane died after like 6 weeks and his parents never got over it. They made him visit her grave every years - which was right next to Philips empty grave for later.

My sister had a baby that lived a day, and while they are doing much better, they still take time out to remember him.

So I am not going to disparage anyone grieving a child. Maybe sometimes that grief manifests in unhealthy ways, but it is not something you can really do much about other than be supportive.

If I thought this was purely a scam I’d have a different view, but I haven’t seen evidence of that thus far.

7 Likes

As far as I can tell

• The family is asking for prayers and hoping for their daughter’s miraculous resurrection
  • The people who set up the fundraiser are asking for money to help the family but without any apparent expectation of resurrection (otherwise there wouldn’t be any need to cover funeral expenses)

I think it would be best if @frauenfelder updates the post accordingly so as not to suggest that the grieving parents are exploiting their child’s death for financial gain.

ETA: Thank you for updating the headline and post to more accurately reflect the situation. I’m still not convinced that the family had any direct role in setting up the Gofundme campaign since it could have easily been anyone at the organization the mother is part of (Bethdel Music).

ETA 2: Thanks for making that update too. Hoping the conversation surrounding this sad story remains respectful moving forward.

11 Likes

If it fails, obviously people didn’t pray hard enough. Maybe a $200,000 Gofundme would do it.

1 Like

Do they specify what the money is needed for?

I was a funeral director for eight years and still remember a mother who spent every hour that the funeral home was open (8am 'til 7p; 9p with a visitation) with her newborn baby’s body until burial. On the day of the burial, it was absolutely heart-wrenching to see her unable to let go. For all the death and awful things I saw in that career, it takes some serious shit to make me remember particular families. This was serious shit.

I never, ever want to outlive my children.

20 Likes

Yeah, I’m gonna have to agree with you and @Mister44. From what I can tell, they are legitimately grieving the loss of their child, prayer is a normal part of their lives, and it seems like others set this up for them. :woman_shrugging: I wish them the best and that they get the healing that they need.

I know. I can’t imagine how awful that must be.

16 Likes

The way I read their message was they need 100k to cover some medical expenses or similar stuffs… Do I have to retake my reading comprehension classes?!

1 Like

grifters going to grift.