Christian parenting expert recommends spanking toddlers so they act excited to see you

Parents – remember, one day, who is going to be faced with the question of turning the machine off.

12 Likes

Yes, they do see that, but they pronounce it as “My daddy used to beat my ass black and blue at least once a week, and it made me the person I am today.”

20 Likes

Evil and idiotic, much like our criminal justice system, which aims to compel wrongdoers to be nice by subjecting them to the violent horrors of imprisonment…

8 Likes

Bem…

This explains a lot about how we got into this hole we find ourselves in today.

16 Likes
13 Likes

Ah, but it did make me the person I am today and the parent I was and still am.

I just did the exact opposite and never hit our daughter.

11 Likes

Programming fear of authority from an early age makes for compliant citizens in the adult years. The Cons are playing the very long game.

Related:

7 Likes

People do something similar; they scream at their dog to “come here!” when they are misbehaving, and then punish them when they do comply. I see it all the time in the dog park.

6 Likes

That is literally one of the most messed up things I have ever heard.

5 Likes

What the hell. Let’s give those kids Stockholm Syndrome. That’s the only true way to lead to the dedicated relation ship these Christians want. Straight out of the Ramsey Bolton school of parenting there.

3 Likes

This behaviour is not connected to being a Christian but it is connected to being someone who calls herself a “Christian parenting expert”.

7 Likes

way to go mommy dearest. when this kid turns on you one day, you can hit your knees and ask your god why.

6 Likes

Abuse a child for Christ!

I suppose it is scripturally consistent. After all, isn’t God the guy who demands that you love Him and threatens you with horrifying punishments if you don’t? Sounds like a textbook abusive relationship to me.

11 Likes

Matthew 19:14

But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.”

Also, Matthew 18:2-6

Jesus invited a little child to stand among them.
“Truly I tell you,” He said, “unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
And whoever welcomes a little child like this in My name welcomes Me.
But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.

Jesus would have words with people who abuse children, especially in his name.

9 Likes

Yes, but I understand that Jesus has fallen out of favor for being too “woke” lately. Evangelical Christianity is getting back to the Old Testament version of God with plenty of smiting and no sparing of the rod.

All this “turn the other cheek” and “love thy neighbor” nonsense in the New Testament is clearly put there by liberals and communists. The true believers know what Jesus really meant to say, and it wasn’t that.

12 Likes

I saw this the other day and it churned my stomach. You’re just teaching your kid to fear you, you narcissist.

5 Likes

Did you read what I was responding to? I’m well aware of the topic of the thread, though. I’m very interesting in pushing out thinking beyond these simple binaries (such as all Christians = bad and all atheists/agonostics = good), because that’s not particularly helpful thinking with regards to what’s happening in the world. In this case, yes, the authoritarian framework is gussied up with a Christian language, but that doesn’t make all Christians authoritarian. :woman_shrugging:

It seems that the people who follow Jesus more closely tend to not be assholes and the people who twist around the old testament tend to ignore lots of the stuff Jesus says…

10 Likes

Of course there is also:

Deuteronomy 21:18-21

King James Version

18 If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

19 Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Old Testament God is a bloodthirsty bastard. Jesus put a much kinder, gentler God in place. Which is why the fascists generally quote OT scripture and ignore Jesus’ words entirely.

16 Likes

What does Proverbs 13:24 mean? | BibleRef.com.

Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.

I think fundamentalist people like this verse.

On the other hand…

5 Likes

“Beatings will continue until morale improves.”

We thought that was a joke.

5 Likes